Find the answer to your Linux question:
One of the prerequisites for installing PHP is to have Freetype-devel installed. Every time I try to install this onto RedHat 8 Psyche, it tells me that Freetype is required. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to setup PHP/MySQL/Apache etc etc

One of the prerequisites for installing PHP is to have Freetype-devel installed. Every time I try to install this onto RedHat 8 Psyche, it tells me that Freetype is required. Freetype is already installed and if I do a "rpm -q freetype" it tells me the version and that it is installed. Yet when I then try to install the same version of Freetype-devel, it simply won't install. I am a beginner with Linux and so not sure of where to go from here.
    The load script I use at the command line is "rpm -i freetype-devel.x.x.x.rpm.
    Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Linux Guru
    Why would you want to install the same version that already is installed? If you're trying to upgrade, use -U instead of -i (the U is supposed to be uppercase).

Just Joined!
    What I am saying is if I do a "rpm -q freetype-devel" at the command line, it doesn't say that it IS installed. There is no indication that it is, so I am assuming that it is not. Freetype IS installed, just not freetype-devel. Each are the same version number (freetype-devel-2.1.2-7.i386.rpm and freetype-2.1.2-7)

Linux Guru
    Oh, I'm sorry, I overlooked that. How do you mean that "it simply won't install"? Doesn't anything happen at all? In that case, that's basically what's supposed to happen; if the installation is successful, nothing at all is printed. Did you check afterwards if it's installed? If you want verbose installation, run "rpm -ihv freetype-devel.rpm".

Just Joined!
    Well, I have freetype-2.1.2-7 installed. I know this because I type in rpm-q freetype and the response is that the aforementioned version is in fact installed.
    I have downloaded freetype-devel-2.1.2-7.i386.rpm from the net and also tried the one on the Red hat CD. When I try to install it, it tells me that freetype-2.1.2-7 is required and it errors out as though freetype-2.1.2-7 is NOT installed. But, I know it is.
    I also downloaded the newer versions of freetype and freetype-devel (2.1.3.6).
    If I try to install (rpm -ihv freetype-2.1.3-6.src.rpm), it looks like it installs with a bar counting to 100%. BUT, if I then type in rpm -q freetype at the command line, it still says that 2.1.2-7 is installed not the newer one. So naturally, when I then try to install freetype-devel-2.1.3-6.i386.rpm, it tells me that the same version of freetype is required and I can't proceed.

This is quite frustrating. I am not sure if there is something MORE that needs to be done (with other commands) or what. Help before I off myself....

Linux Guru
    Have you tried -Uhv to install the latest version of freetype instead? If that works, you might be able to install freetype-devel afterwards.
    If that doesn't help, try installing the current version of freetype and its corresponding freetype-devel package "at the same time", ie. by giving both as argument to RPM. That just might help RPM to realize that even if it wasn't installed, it was just going to be.