Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to run a command automatically after launching an xterm window using the 'e' switch. Something like: xterm -e "ls" The problem is that this causes the xterm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Getting the Prompt After 'xterm -e <command>'

Hi,

I'm trying to run a command automatically after launching an xterm window using the 'e' switch. Something like:

xterm -e "ls"

The problem is that this causes the xterm window to run the command and get destroyed, that is, the command prompt is not available. But when I run the command

xterm -e "ls && sudo su"

the window stays open and xterm's command prompt is available for further use. But this is not what I want (I don't want to be superuser).

My questions are:
    1. How do I get the window to stay open and also get the command prompt available (the 'hold' switch does the former, but not the latter)?
    2. If this cannot be done in xterm, is there any other terminal application which can do this?

Thanks,

Icarus

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 1carus View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying to run a command automatically after launching an xterm window using the 'e' switch. Something like:

xterm -e "ls"

The problem is that this causes the xterm window to run the command and get destroyed, that is, the command prompt is not available. But when I run the command

xterm -e "ls && sudo su"

the window stays open and xterm's command prompt is available for further use. But this is not what I want (I don't want to be superuser).

My questions are:
    1. How do I get the window to stay open and also get the command prompt available (the 'hold' switch does the former, but not the latter)?
    2. If this cannot be done in xterm, is there any other terminal application which can do this?

Thanks,

Icarus
    Just launch your shell instead, for example, if you use bash:

Code:
    xterm -e "ls; bash"

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Thanks! That worked!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

may be try this