Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed the lastes version of VNC on my mandrake box. How do i get it where i can see the graphics when launch vnc. I just get like a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VNC Question

I installed the lastes version of VNC on my mandrake box. How do i get it where i can see the graphics when launch vnc. I just get like a console window. I want to be able to pull up the screen as if i was in front on the monitor.

Please help

Linux Guru
    What exactly is it that you're doing? Please post all commands that you are using.

Just Joined!

VNC Question

I telnet into my linux server and run the command vncserver, then on my windows xp machine i run vncviewer and type in the server name:5 and then the password and i get the window but its not like when i use vnc to connect to a windows machine like i dont see the icons nor for example the kde icons.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    No, that's true. VNC for Windows doesn't work like VNC for Linux. On Windows, the VNC server uses the Windows desktop, since there's no other workspace for applications to be on. On Linux, the VNC server is also an X server of its own, ie. it doesn't use the output of the X server that's running on your monitor. It uses a virtual frame buffer for display output, which can then be viewed over VNC.
    However, the vncserver command allows you to specify what programs to start on the new X server, through the ~/.vnc/xstartup file. Might I suggest entering the following into it?
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    exec startkde
    That will make a KDE session active on the VNC server, although it won't be the same KDE session that's on your monitor.