Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a Web developer, so of course I installed ies4linux with Wine so that I can see how Internet Explorer renders my pages. I also copied The Times and Arial ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question about Windows fonts in Linux

I'm a Web developer, so of course I installed ies4linux with Wine so that I can see how Internet Explorer renders my pages. I also copied The Times and Arial fonts from my XP installation so that I could get a better idea about exactly how pages will look...

..but I've noticed that the Windows fonts seem to render much larger in Linux. This didn't seem like such a big deal at first, because it just meant I can't really test in IE without booting into XP... but then I realized that some Linux machines will have the Windows fonts - such as my little brother's computer, which is running Ubuntu with the "restricted extras" package installed.

Some of the Web pages I create depend on correct sizing of fonts in order to display parts of the page as intended, so this creates an annoying problem.

I doubt there is anything I can do to address the problem, but I am still curious if someone can tell me why the Windows fonts render so much larger on Linux??

Linux User
    This is quite intriguing, I'll have to see if I can find someone with windows so I can compare.

But you really shouldn't rely on font size for page formatting, as there would be very little chance of the page ever displaying the you want it.

Linux Guru
    First, on web, never use pixel sizes. Use relative sizes. It's just a general advice, you are of course free to ignore it if you feel that way is better for a given purpose.

Second, your problem might be related to the dpi your xorg server is using.

You can run this on each box to check the dpi:

Code:
    # xdpyinfo | grep resolution
      resolution:    112x112 dots per inch
    The ideal way to set a correct dpi is to use this in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Philips 109E5"
    HorizSync 30-92
    VertRefresh 50-160
    DisplaySize 375 273
    # 1600x1280 @ 70.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 93.24 kHz; pclk: 204.38 MHz
    Modeline "1600x1280_70.00" 204.38 1600 1720 1896 2192 1280 1281 1284 1332 -HSync +Vsync
    EndSection
    Look at the line in bolds. It must be on your Monitor section and the sizes are in milimeters. This allows X to guess the correct dpi for your monitor, and saves you some trouble.