Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by gorcq Unfortunately, my laptop doesn't have a CD drive, or any other external drives. I did the Linux install and the destruction of the partition using a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by gorcq View Post
    Unfortunately, my laptop doesn't have a CD drive, or any other external drives. I did the Linux install and the destruction of the partition using a really cool utility called Unetbootin, but that requires an operating system to use it, and I can't get to mine.
    I have no idea how old it is (I got it used) but the only boot options appear to be "HDD", "FDD", "CD-ROM", and "LAN." I assume the first two are for hard drive and floppy drive, and none of them sounds like it should use the USB port.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Well Dang, I don't know what to tell you buddy. I guess you need to get a CDROM and hook that up, you don't seem to have much choice.
    I'd be tempted to pull the hard drive out of the laptop, install an OS and a boot partition with grub and enough software to get your Unetbootin to work & make sure it doesn't get overwritten in future.

If you don't have a machine to put the hdd in or an understanding friend then I think you probably need to go with the CD drive option MikeTbob suggested.

I'm not sure if you can get the LAN boot to work ... I've come across a couple of articles in the past but you could google & give it a go.

Let us know how it works out.

Right.

Last option for laptops without drives is to pullout the HDD, get an IDE to 3.5 connector, and use a Desktop computer to install an OS onto it. The biggest concern is the bootloader and the kernel. I'd chainload the sucker to a USB external, though.

AKA

1. take out the HDD from the laptop
    2. remove the HDD from a desktop
    3. Buy/rent/own a connector the allow the sata/ide cable of the desktop to connect to the laptops HDD (the sizes differ, research it)
    4. Load a live-distro on desktop
    5. Install distro to laptop
    7. profit

next time:

1. clonezilla Windows XP
    2. reinstall to laptop HDD via network

You're going to have to buy somebody a beer in exchange for borrowing their external CD-ROM.

Just Joined!

Arrow

I have no idea how old it is (I got it used) but the only boot options appear to be "HDD", "FDD", "CD-ROM", and "LAN." I assume the first two are for hard drive and floppy drive, and none of them sounds like it should use the USB port.
    I don't know if you can do it with windows or wich other dists of linux, but debian has an article on they're page about network installs . I think most linux's can probablly do it. And may windows.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2