Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
First, I installed what turned out to be an untested beta branch of Ubuntu. Once a helpful person on this forum pointed that out, I figured I'd just install verson ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I think I completely screwed up my laptop

First, I installed what turned out to be an untested beta branch of Ubuntu. Once a helpful person on this forum pointed that out, I figured I'd just install verson 7.10 over it; but I couldn't find an option in the installer to overwrite an existing partition. So, I booted up with PartedMagic and deleted the partition in question, figuring I'd just start over again. But, I think I destroyed GRUB in the process; now, every time I boot up it just stops with the message "GRUB ERROR 22." I can't boot from anywhere, not even a CD, although I'm sure my Windows XP installation still exists if I could get to it. I think I may have completely destroyed it. Anyone think otherwise?
    Last edited by devils casper; 03-03-2008 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Removed formatting tags

Your Lappy should boot up fine from Ubuntu Installation CD. Either re-install Ubuntu and Installer setup Dual boot again Or remove GRUB from MBR.

I would suggest you to re-install Ubuntu 7.10.
    If you want to fix Windows OS first ( remove GRUB ), boot up from Windows Installation CD and select repair. Execute fixmbr command at repair prompt. Windows OS will boot up on reboot. Windows Install CD doesn't work in a few machines. In that case, boot up from SuperGRUB CD and select 'Fix Windows Boot Loader' option from list.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately, my laptop doesn't have a CD drive, or any other external drives. I did the Linux install and the destruction of the partition using a really cool utility called Unetbootin, but that requires an operating system to use it, and I can't get to mine.

This is a really unique dilemma, do you have a floppy drive?
    If you do, you might be able to download an older Linux floppy disk to fdisk the MBR.
    How about a USB Pendrive or Stick?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    No floppy. I've got several USB ports, but I didn't know it was possible to boot from one of them. I have a small flash USB drive I might be able to use, or a USB CD drive, but there's no option in BIOS to look to the USB port first. I don't know how I could use that.

Maybe the option to boot from USB would be called something like "boot from external Device"? How old is the machine?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    I have no idea how old it is (I got it used) but the only boot options appear to be "HDD", "FDD", "CD-ROM", and "LAN." I assume the first two are for hard drive and floppy drive, and none of them sounds like it should use the USB port.

Well Dang, I don't know what to tell you buddy. I guess you need to get a CDROM and hook that up, you don't seem to have much choice.

Just Joined!
    I have exactly the same problem with my XP desktop. GRUB. error 22. It will not boot from CD drive. Tried rescue CD and Debian installation CD. It will not boot from USB, Ubuntu pendrive. ctr. alt.del.gets me to bios, and no further. Back to GRUB. There should be some kind of keyboard command that gets you out of trouble, but that is betond me. But a CD drive seems not to be a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by casaet View Post
    I have exactly the same problem with my XP desktop. GRUB. error 22. It will not boot from CD drive. Tried rescue CD and Debian installation CD. It will not boot from USB, Ubuntu pendrive. ctr. alt.del.gets me to bios, and no further. Back to GRUB. There should be some kind of keyboard command that gets you out of trouble, but that is betond me. But a CD drive seems not to be a solution.
    You can't boot from a Windows or Linux CD? Are you sure your BIOS is set to boot from the HD? Maybe you have a bad CD drive?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast