Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just installed Madrake Linux. Very excited, until I realised what had happened: It looks like Madrake has wiped my hard drive of...everything. Except it's self. I may be wrong. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux has wiped my HDD....I think

Just installed Madrake Linux. Very excited, until I realised what had happened:

It looks like Madrake has wiped my hard drive of...everything. Except it's self. I may be wrong. The files may be lurking somewhere on the PC but I cant find anything. Im not all that annoyed with the loss of some of my games but im a tad ticked off with the loss of windows. Ok, ticked off isnt the word.

Basicly, during the installation I had no options whatsoever to use partiniong the Hard Drive, so I expected it just did it itself.

I know that on boot up I have multiple-choice load up choices. but none of them seem to say "Windows". If windows was a choice, what would it be?

Please help me, I have an angry parent about to rip my head off...

use the hardware browser or the control centre to see what partitions you still have. If you have one that is marked as being Fat or fat32, then you still have a windows partition. If so, goto the tutorial section of this site and have a look at the various posts on solving boot problems.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Er, I'm not sure on how I discover wether or not I have the fat or fat32 partitions. I have used the hardware browser configuration tool for the Hard Disk this had a blue Windows tab. Does this mean that windows is still installed somewhere in my system? If so, how can I access it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Run diskdrake (from the mdk control centre or terminal ) and that should show you what partitions you have. Don't make any changes though
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    select the entry in the boot loader that says "windows" "dos" or "garbage" that should boot to windows.

If you are planing to continue asking questions then you should really include more information.. like.. you say "I know that on boot up I have multiple-choice load up choices. but none of them seem to say "Windows". If windows was a choice, what would it be?" to get an answer to that you might list the choices that you actualy _do_ have..

Just Joined!
    Ok my choices on boot up are:
    linux
    263-7
    2425-2
    failsafe
    floppy

and in diskdrake there seems to be no sign of fat32 or fat *cries*

Linux Engineer
    Final check would be to see if the linux partitions add up to your hd size. If so then windows is a goner.

Use KDiskfree or type df
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux User
    If you were insalling the 2.6 kernel. parted xsambled the mbr but your XP is still there. I have not seen a fix for Mandrake but this is the fix for Fedora and I see no reason why it would not also work with Mandrake: http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg02114.html
    There is also a fix for Suse: http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/0...booting91.html . This site was very slow.

Counterspy