Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have instaled Suse 8.0 and I configured every hardware ecxept my mouse. I have Genuis NetScrool+ mouse. I have selected in Yast that my mouse model is Microsoft Intelli ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Scrool Mouse in Suse 8.0

I have instaled Suse 8.0 and I configured every hardware ecxept my mouse. I have Genuis NetScrool+ mouse. I have selected in Yast that my mouse model is Microsoft Intelli mouse with 3 buttons and scrool, and I checked the Emulate Three Buttons option, but my mouse isn't not work properly. When I start KDE or Gnome and try the scrool, the mouse stop to work. It will begin to work properly only if I start Yast again, but it will work only in one X session. With logout or reboot it will start to work not properly again. Do I have to start Yast every time when I startx? Or there is some solution. I really don't know what to do, so help me if you can.
    Thanks

Linux User
    It sounds like the settings you setup for your mouse are not being saved if they only last for one X session...

Make sure the config updates the /etc/X11/XF86Config file (if Suse puts it there, maybe not)

On the side, I doubt you want to emulate 3 buttons on a scroll mouse....
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    I suppose that you have GPM running. If not, log in as root and run 'service gpm start'.
    Now, switch to a text console (CTRL+ALT+F1 from X, ALT+F7 (usually) to switch back), and see if your mouse stops functioning there, too, when you use the scroll wheel.
    I'm just thinking that this NetScroll+ mouse uses some strange protocol habit, and that the kernel comes out of sync with it (or something... ). Is it a PS/2 or USB mouse, btw?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

I tryed but nothing

I tryed the first thing who wrote about the first poster, and I saw that /etc/X11/XF86Config is saved and it is not changing. My opinion is that something is ingoring that file, but I don't know is that Yast, or some other... I tryed also the second poster's opinion, and nothing again. In the console mode the mouse is working, but in the X he doesn't. The mouse is serial. If someone know how to build modules for this mouse and set up to run this modules every time when x is load (or rc.d) please reply me. Thanks.
    P.S. What is doubt about emulate 3 buttons on a scrool mouse? A tryed to do not emulate that but there wasn't any changes.

Linux Guru
    Serial mouse? That's kind of unexpected. I didn't Microsoft made intellimouses serial. Are you sure that it's a real Microsoft mouse? Microsoft's mice use a different serial protocol than other brands (or at least they did in the good old days). I can imagine that gpm autodetects the mouse protocol, but X doesn't for sure. Have you tried some other drivers, such as the generic scrollmouse driver?

Just Joined!

Genuis Netscroll +

The mouse is Genuis Netscroll +, but the Yast is autodetetecting like a Microsoft Intelli Mouse. The problem is that every option of another mouse model selected in Yast, the mouse is not working at all. The only solution is to select Microsoft Intelli Mouse.

Linux Guru
    That seems strange, generic serial mouse should always work, providing that your mouse is serial.
    Could you check just what yast does to what file when you change your mouse driver to generic serial?

Just Joined!

Yast

From the begining of the instalation of Suse Linux the autodection hardware wizard, has found my mouse like a Microsoft Intelli mouse. I tryed to change that, to generic serial mouse (in Yast) I click test, and the mouse isn't working at all. I tryed every option available in Yast for other mouses, but the mouse is working only with that option (Microsoft Intelli mouse), with problems only in X. Anyone knows how can I configure my mouse without Yast. Someone knows also more about configuring in XF86? Or does Yast can change configuration on XF86 or he is taking other file configuration? Like I know XF86 is primarius file for everything (console and X)

Just Joined!
    Boot in save mode or run init 3 as root

Use sax2

If above attempt fails run xf86config

Have a lot of fun :-)