Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Has anyone here, when first starting out, used a book to learn how to use Linux?? If so which book?? I had Learn Linux in 24 Hours...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Books About Linux??

Has anyone here, when first starting out, used a book to learn how to use Linux?? If so which book?? I had Learn Linux in 24 Hours

Linux User
    Back when I was starting out I still had access to good University library so I took a few books from there and then borrowed some from friends and every other time they ended up sitting on the table without me even looking at them. Everything I ever learned was online from documents, install manuals, forums, and IRC. I suggest you do the same. Gentoo was probably the biggest learning experience.

Gentoo was also my biggest help in learning Linux. But I liked the Sybex Complete Linux book.

IRC and these forums are awesome resources, too. Hop on IRC and you will (normally) get many people who know what is going on.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Guru
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Just jumping in at the deep end can give you some valuable experience.

But book wise:

RedHat Linux 9 Bible gave me a good understanding of the basic functions of Linux.

O'Reilly's Linux Security Cookbook was another good one.

But never forget the best tool.....

......the internet....Google.

Armage

Linux Engineer
    i started with learning redhat linux in 24 hours(illustrated edition ).it helped so much to learn about linux(redhat especially).although google and irc ,tldp documents and guides are good for learning...
    Linux For Ever!

i learned with a great book, the man pages...and google, but I now have an oreilly on apache whitch is great for referance. I also got the redhat linux 9 bible, it has been handy, but is very GUI oriented i feel, (whitch is fine as that is most of redhat/fedora) but it tends to config using a gui first, then command line instructions second, and I would reccommend learing the other way around. Remote access is really only pratical over the internet via terminals, and if you really want to learn how to handle a linux system, command line is the trick.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Hello,

This info may save your money also. You can download some of the redhat publiched books from http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

Linux Newbie
    I would recommend Administration of Linux System (as it is not distro specific) by Stanfield and Smith and RedHat 9 Master Edition - Ball and Duff. Of course, learning by experiment, the forums, google, man pages and irc are the best

Linux Engineer
    does anyone know a good site to download books except tldp.org?
    Linux For Ever!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast