Find the answer to your Linux question:
i want to learn to build from source. Im currently using ArchLinux, and find it brilliant! i only have a low spec machine with a Intel Celeron 1.8Ghz and 512 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

compiling software

i want to learn to build from source. Im currently using ArchLinux, and find it brilliant! i only have a low spec machine with a Intel Celeron 1.8Ghz and 512 meg of ram!! i found arch runs brilliant on it though!

I have only bin using unixes for 18months or so and have used PC-BSD, ubuntu, Suse, Zenwalk and a few others, but havent learnt much about source code atall because these all have good package managers.

I would love to build my whole system from source, and had a quick blast at Linux From Scratch(LFS) but very quickly ran into trouble and got very confused, worried, and outa my depth!!

anyone got any idea where i should start to learn?? i can do the basic './configure -> make -> make install -> make clean' but if it comes to anything more complex, then im lost. ive googled but only find the above basic compilation explained.

if anyone has got LFS up and running, can you let me know wot kinda level ur at with linux, and posibly some starter reading for me to get my head round the process? thanks

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaprawn View Post
    i want to learn to build from source. Im currently using ArchLinux, and find it brilliant! i only have a low spec machine with a Intel Celeron 1.8Ghz and 512 meg of ram!! i found arch runs brilliant on it though!
    Arch linux has native tools to build from source, in addition to the traditional method based in binary packages.

ArchWiki :: ABS - The Arch Build System - ArchWiki

anyone got any idea where i should start to learn?? i can do the basic './configure -> make -> make install -> make clean' but if it comes to anything more complex, then im lost. ive googled but only find the above basic compilation explained.
    This, entirely depends on the source that you are trying to compile. Most linux programs use autotools, which means that you just

Code:
    ./configure && make && su -c 'make install'
    to compile them. But each programs has it's own README, INSTALL or whatever files or docs telling you how to compile and install them. So, after untarring the files, look around. And if you still can't figure out how to compile a given package, the second place you should look at is the application's web site, forums, mailing lists or whatever official places there are.

Another alternative is to use a source based distro, like Gentoo.

If you find Arch Brilliant and LFS a little too difficult, then maybe try Crux which is about halfway between the two on the difficulty scale. Plus, Arch was developed from Crux.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thanks for that advice, im going to give up on LFS for now, and try crux. hopefully learn more about compiling along the way and eventually get to the point of building LFS.

I will one day learn to use open source and GNU software properly.

...im going to give up on LFS for now, and try Crux.
    If you need any assistance, feel free to contact me. I'd be glad to help if I can.

Just Joined!
    ive just been reading over the crux website, and thought it sounded very familiar? very much like slackware, which i have never had the guts to have a go at!

i get scared with the lack of documentation!! how easy/difficult is it to set up a 'de' like kde or any of the many others??

i will defo have a go at it. i need a bit of a challenge!

ive just been reading over the crux website, and thought it sounded very familiar? very much like slackware, which i have never had the guts to have a go at!

i get scared with the lack of documentation!! how easy/difficult is it to set up a 'de' like kde or any of the many others??
    Actually Slackware is a lot easier than Crux. It might be a good idea to consider running Slackware first. Then, after you get familiar with it, give Crux a go. Slackware is also challenging and you will learn a lot. DE's are installable in Crux. KDE, easier than Gnome. I've never tried Xfce though. Mostly in Crux I run straight IceWM.

In my opinion, documentation is very good for Slackware. The Crux documentation doesn't go to great lengths holding the user's hand through every aspect of installation, configuration and usage. I think this is because since Crux is a distro for more advanced users, it is assumed you already know most of the basics.

If you haven't seen them already, here are two good pages of documentation for each...

Slackbook Project
    Crux 2.4