Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed slackware 9.0, and eveything is running fine. apart from one thing. I have set my fat32 partition (hda5, which i use so i can access some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

permissions of fat32 partition

I have just installed slackware 9.0, and eveything is running fine. apart from one thing.
    I have set my fat32 partition (hda5, which i use so i can access some files from both windows and linux) to mount to /fat with fstab.

it all works ok, when i'm root. but i set up a new user (tom) so i want logged in as root all the time (allready had a misshap delteing a folder that happend to be called usr, used rm -r /usr instead of rm -r usr ) anyway, i can't access the files when i'm logged in as tom, i can't see the files.

when i su to root and mount the partition manualy, i still can't see it (because its been mounted by root presumably?)

is there somewhere to set access permissions for different partitions? its really beggining to get to me

any help would be appreciated.

Linux Guru
    Have a look at this URL, someone else who has had the same problem as you:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20376068.html

Let us know if that does the trick.

Jason

Just Joined!
    cheers fella. got it sorted now.
    managed to mount it with permissions with mount -t vfat -o rw,uid=1000 /dev/hda5 /fat
    so i figured i should ad the line...

/dev/hda5 /fat vfat rw,uid=1000 0 0

...to fstab. and wadaya know? it worked.

i'm begining to get the hang of this linux stuff. just like the old days of windows where i could change most stuff by editing ini files well, it seemed like that anyway.

In windows when i learn something i keep having to re-learn it for some reason. I think linux must be special to me in some sub-concious way, because i'm learning things after the first time of doing them

ah well, best not complain

thanks again.