Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I'd like to thank anyone for responces in advance, because I'm extremley frustrated at this... I've installed Yellowdog Linux 5.02 on my Ps3 and it's great, in fact ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PLAYSTATION 3 and Yellowdog resolution issue.

Hey everyone, I'd like to thank anyone for responces in advance, because I'm extremley frustrated at this...

I've installed Yellowdog Linux 5.02 on my Ps3 and it's great, in fact I;m posting from it right now, but I have a small problem, I know how the PS3 resolution system works, in YDL it can't simply be changed by editing xorg, you have to enter the special ps3 video mode command folloed by a number.

Now I've got my resolution set to 1280x720, (720p) but in order to be full screen, it's stretched, as my HDTV has a 16:10 aspect ratio and not 16:9.

It has VGA capabilities for acting as a PC monitor, but I'm wondering if theres anyway to get my TV's optimal resolution of 1360x768? The manual even tells me it's possible with a PC equipped with HDMI.. but it seems to be something involving the Ps3 and it's interaction with Linux alone.

Once again, thanks is greatly appriciated, and if you need any more info, just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by MarlesRobin View Post
    YDL it can't simply be changed by editing xorg, you have to enter the special ps3 video mode command folloed by a number.
    So editing xorg.conf has no effect whatsoever?
    but it seems to be something involving the Ps3 and it's interaction with Linux alone.
    I'm not too sure about Gnome but if you are using KDE, you can change the resolution from within KDE. I'm not using KDE at the moment but I think you can go into the Control Center or maybe it's a link in the KDE Menu for changing the Display properties.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Nope, nothing so simple as that.

Editing xorg has no effect whatsoever, and the display options only gives me the resolution I already have anyway.

Have you tried entering the Video resolution during GRUB startup?
    The vga=791 sets your console to a resolution of 1024x768 16 Bit
    VGA color depth vs resolution chart

depth------640x480-----800x600-----1024x768-----1280x1024
    256----------769----------771-----------773-------------775
    32000-------784----------787-----------790-------------793
    65000-------785----------788-----------791-------------794
    16.7 Mill.----786----------789-----------792-------------795
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.