Find the answer to your Linux question:
My wife owns and operates a small business and she is the only employee. She is not a computer user and her CPA would like her to start using quick ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Suggestions on a "light" distro for a small business

My wife owns and operates a small business and she is the only employee.

She is not a computer user and her CPA would like her to start using quick books. I use linux and know that quick books can not be run on linux computers so I thought maybe you good people here could suggest a light weight OS that would be able to handle Gnucash or kmoney instead.

I have an older system with a P3 processor at 550Mhz and 384MB ram I can donate to her for this so an OS like the one I run (Ubuntu) can't be installed on those specs. Can someone suggest an OS that can be efficent with those specs and still run the software I mentioned?

Thanks, Neal

Hi Neal. Your accountant is not going to be happy unless you run QuickBooks. I know mine isn't. We use Quickbooks 2006 from a Windows 2000 server using VNC. You can also use VirtualBox, (which is very easy to install), and run QuickBooks from Windows installed on the virtual machine. I sure wish QuickBooks would port to Linux. It is the only app that keeps us from being Windows free. If your accountant is open minded and will let you run a Linux based accounting program, kmymoney is pretty cool, and should work without too much difficulty for you...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Thanks, Unfortunately I no longer have a windows OS that will work with the computer specs I listed earlier. All I have is a XP cd but its installed on my teenage sons computer and I no longer have a w98 disc anymore so I think virtualbox plus a windows OS would eat up most of that systems resources.

My wife can learn anything because she never really became used to any specific windows OS. I'm looking for a light linux distro that has a small business flair or is able to run gnucash or the kmymoney program efficiently.

What about the linux distro named "Absolute"? It seems like a friendly little distro that would be easy to use and user friendly. Anyone used it before?

Thanks for the feedback.

Neal

I've been meaning to try out Absolute because I love both Slackware and IceWM. The thing you run into with lesser known distros in business is that often there isn't as much documentation and community to give you a hand in case something goes amiss. I'm not saying that is the case with Absolute, it's just something worth considering when using Linux in a desktop business environment. At home I use Crux, but at our business I use Kubuntu, Slackware and CentOS. Anything *buntu is going to have good support. Try Absolute and see if it suits your needs. It should definitely be easy on resources. If not, you can always try another. Maybe consider Xubuntu too. GnuCash should install without too many problems on most distros.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Linux Guru
    You can always try wine to run quickbooks. I haven't tried it personally, and the couple of results about quickbook I just saw in the wine db are old. So, it might just works nowadays. Who knows...

EDITED: According to this, also, it's possible to use gnucash in windows:

Windows - GnuCash

And if you can use it on windows, then, maybe, it will work on ReactOS:

Frontpage - ReactOS Website

The bad part about reactos is that it's very experimental, and far from complete. But it might suit your needs. I don't really know. Just take a look and decide yourself.