Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
if i install Linux and windows then there will be two bootloaders in the MBR. tell me how does it works. the bootloader which shows us about selecting OS is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux & windows boot loaders

if i install Linux and windows then there will be two bootloaders in the MBR.
    tell me how does it works.
    the bootloader which shows us about selecting OS is of Linux i wanna know where does Windows boot loader goes????

Windows Boot Loaders work differently than Linux. Windows OS installs Boot Loader in Boot Sector of Root Partition ( C: Drive ) by default and a chainloading code in MBR.
    When you install Linux, installer installs GRUB/Lilo in MBR overwriting Windows Chainload code. Installer of most of Linux distros detect Windows OS and add chainloading code :
    Code:
    title Windows OS
    rootnoverify (hdx,y)
    chainloader +1
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

u mean to say if we have two OS one is windows and second is Linux then Linux Boot Loader is present in MBR,there is no windows Boot loader.
    Also please do write me few lines about ChainLoad.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by bilal_jan View Post
    u mean to say if we have two OS one is windows and second is Linux then Linux Boot Loader is present in MBR,there is no windows Boot loader.
    I do not quite understand what you are asking but -

If you had windows installed on the HDD first then the windows boot loader will be present in the MBR. Then if you install Linux the MBR will be overwritten with the linux boot loader.
    Please note: GRUB and LILO will usually detect Windows and will give you the option to choose the OS to boot.

Geese.

u mean to say if we have two OS one is windows and second is Linux then Linux Boot Loader is present in MBR, there is no windows Boot loader.
    Yes and No. When you install Linux after Windows OS, Linux boot loader removes chainloading code of Windows OS and install itself in MBR but Windows Boot Loader resides in Boot Sector of Windows main partition ( C: Drive ). Linux Boot Loader do not touch boot sector of Windows partition.

You can use chainloading to boot Linux OSes too. Let say you are dual booting Linux OSes.
    * Installer of first Linux distro will install GRUB in MBR (its default).
    * Install GRUB of second Linux distro in Boot Sector of / partition.
    * Add chainloading code in first distros GRUB.

First distro's GRUB will invoke second distro's GRUB.
    Last edited by devils casper; 04-07-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by bilal_jan View Post
    Grub can not boot Windows directly ... have a look at the grub manual ... chainloading.

it means that if we have two OS(windows and linux) then in MBR only on boot loader is there and that is of Linux.

MBR can't store more than one Boot Loader but Boot Loader selection depends on user only. You can use Windows Boot Loader for dual boot setup too.

so where does Windows Boot Loader is if MBR has Linux boot Loader

Its in Boot Sector of Windows Main Partition ( C: Drive ). Please read all posts again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast