Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just have a real quick question. I am trying to find a good Open source firewall that is Linux based and supports OpenVPN. I have IP COP in place ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux Firewall

I just have a real quick question. I am trying to find a good Open source firewall that is Linux based and supports OpenVPN. I have IP COP in place currently and I have tried a variety of other products (Shorewall, Smoothwall, Untangle, RedWall, Mono, etc.) So far none of these make the grade. To get specific I would prefer the firewall be able to fit on a 1 GB CF card because that is what I am wanting to boot the firewall from. I also need OpenVPN support as well. Anyone have any success with other firewalls? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by DOllaBillz217 View Post
    I just have a real quick question. I am trying to find a good Open source firewall that is Linux based and supports OpenVPN. I have IP COP in place currently and I have tried a variety of other products (Shorewall, Smoothwall, Untangle, RedWall, Mono, etc.) So far none of these make the grade. To get specific I would prefer the firewall be able to fit on a 1 GB CF card because that is what I am wanting to boot the firewall from. I also need OpenVPN support as well. Anyone have any success with other firewalls? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    THE firewall for linux is iptables. The rest of products are just easy frontends to iptables. Shorewall is said to be easy to setup, for example.

If you find that those are limited, then you are going to have to learn to write iptables rules yourself. Without a frontend, you will get the most out of your firewall. Iptables is simply amazing, it can do anything, but it's not something you can learn on a couple of days.

If you google for iptables tutorials, I think that you will not have problems finding one.

If by "firewall", you mean a pre-made distro that can act as a firewall, then I can't give any advise.

Just Joined!

Endian?

Have you tried Endian? It supports OpenVPN and seems great to me.

But what do I know?

:-/

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kulshan View Post
    Have you tried Endian? It supports OpenVPN and seems great to me.

But what do I know?

:-/
    As I said above, I never used a pre-made firewall distro.

I looked at the index and features, and it seems a complete distro oriented to security. It seems right on a first look, but I never used it.

The manual seems comprehensive enough, so, I suggest that you start reading, the sooner the better. Power comes at a prince, as always.

Anyway, it's just linux. It might come with preconfigured firewalls or something, but anything that is doable on that distro can be done in any other as well. Ultimately, it's all the same stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    If by "firewall", you mean a pre-made distro that can act as a firewall, then I can't give any advise.
    That would be Smoothwall
    Its a great distro for dedicated firewall.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with Endian 2.2
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6