Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need to get a good low cost laser printer. I've been considering the Samsung ML-1430 or 1440, but several people have told me the toner cartridges are hard to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Low cost laser printer

I need to get a good low cost laser printer. I've been considering the Samsung ML-1430 or 1440, but several people have told me the toner cartridges are hard to come by. The Brother HL-1440 is readily available and I can get toner at the Office Depot or Staples here in town.

The Samsung printers say they are certified with several Linux distros (I'm running RH but the Brother printer mentions nothing about Linux in it's specs. I've looked around some, LinuxPrinting.org for example, but haven't found much actual user feed back on these printers.

What I'm asking is does any body out there have real life experience with any of these printers? Also willing to listen to suggestions of other cheap ( under US$ 250) printers. Thanks in advance.

Linux Enthusiast
    laser printers _almost_ always use PostScript, so should be compatible with linux really easily.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!

HP laserjet 6L

My HP Laserjet 6L configured no problem. You shouldn't have any problem with any postscript printers

Linux Guru
    I've never heard that most laser printers use postscript. As I know, almost all laser printers supports the LJ Series II PCL, but not postscript. I know HP have marked their ps-compatible laser printers with an extra 'P' letter in the product code (e.g. the HP LaserJet 4LP).
    Compatibility should not prove to be a problem anyway though, if you're using RH8. printconf has ps-emulating support for all printers from here to mars and back again, and kudzu will probably even detect and configure it for you automagically.