Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there ! I have a problem and I hope someone can help me. I have a RedHat Linux 8.0 (kernel 2.4.18-14) system and I'm having trouble getting my USB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB SmartMedia reader problem

Hi there !

I have a problem and I hope someone can help me. I have a RedHat Linux 8.0 (kernel 2.4.18-14) system and I'm having trouble getting my USB cardreader (Sitecom CN-301) to work. In dmesg I see the following when I plug in the device:

usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2
    hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 3
    usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0xc0b/0xa107) is not claimed by any active driver.
    When I modprobe scsi_mod, sd_mod and usb-storage nothing happens (even if I reconnect the device). I think it has something to do with the VendorID/ProductID which it doesn't recognize.
    How can I solve this problem? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks !

Linux Guru
    Are you sure this a regular USB Mass Storage device? I just checked the kernel source for the usb-storage driver, and it matches only on interface information, and I'd say most USB MS devices match there pretty well. If you want to try to add your device explicitly, open drivers/usb/storage/usb.c in your kernel source tree and add look up the definition of storage_usb_ids (if you search for it, the definition is the first thing you'll find). Then add the line "{ USB_DEVICE(0xc0b, 0xa107) }," somewhere before the terminating entry.
    Then you must, of course, recompile the module. Check the Kernel-HOWTO on www.tldp.org for how to do this if you do not already know. You don't seem all too unexperienced, though, so I guess you'll be fine.

Linux Enthusiast
    I don't think card readers are usb-storage, I think they are an MTD device, I don't know anything about them though.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    But wouldn't it be excessively stupid to do it like that?