Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I am relatively new to linux and have had my computer booted into Ubuntu for the majority of the past few months, but I haven't wanted to mess ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which distro for IBM Thinkpad 760XL?

Hey all,

I am relatively new to linux and have had my computer booted into Ubuntu for the majority of the past few months, but I haven't wanted to mess with it too much since I have a lot of important stuff over on the Windows half (sigh....).

Anyway, I came across a IBM Thinkpad 760XL that someone was throwing away and grabbed it thinking I could throw linux on it and experiment. I need to pick a distro that is pretty minimal so that I can fit it on the tiny (~1Gb) hard drive and run it with the 166mhz processor. I want something that is going to push me to really learn linux but will not send me in way over my head.

If anyone has a recommendation I would be much obliged.

Thanks a lot,

Thatcher

Any Lightweight distro like DSL, Puppy Linux will work fine on those specs. Check this Poll in Distro of older machines.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot,

Depending on what I figure out for a hard drive, I might just make up some partitions and run Puppy on one side of it and DSL on the other...

Thatcher

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    How much RAM does the machine have? If it's at least 20megs, then you can do a basic install of Debian and add a little bit at a time. I crammed a basic Debian install with an IceWM GUI onto a dual boot Pentium 120 with 48megs of RAM and a 1.3gig hard drive (A stripped down Windows 98 consumed half of the drive; Debian was on the other half). But with anything less than 32megs of RAM I wouldn't do plain old Debian. DSL is a VERY stripped down variant of Debian with a lot of essentials missing.

Maybe Deb-Ice would be a good option, especially if this machine doesn't have any internet connection.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan