Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Ubuntu 7.10 desktop amd64 Since only root can mount moveable device I run "sudo mount" to do the job. However all files copied onto the moveble device become ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Mounting movable device as user

Hi folks,

Ubuntu 7.10 desktop amd64

Since only root can mount moveable device I run "sudo mount" to do the job. However all files copied onto the moveble device become owned by root. Is there a clue to allow a selected user (NOT all users) to mount movable device as user NOT as root so that the ownership of files copied on to the device can be retained as original. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Hi folks,

Ubuntu 7.10 desktop amd64

Since only root can mount moveable device I run "sudo mount" to do the job. However all files copied onto the moveble device become owned by root. Is there a clue to allow a selected user (NOT all users) to mount movable device as user NOT as root so that the ownership of files copied on to the device can be retained as original. TIA

B.R.
    satimis
    I don't know if there's a more ubuntu-ish way to do this things.

However, you can setup your drives on /etc/fstab usually. If you are the mount option "users", any user will be able to mount the drive. For example, I use this line for my dvd drive:

Code:
    /dev/scd0 /mnt/dvd iso9660 ro,users,noauto 0 0
    Removable devices, however, don't have to have always the same device node by default. So, making rules on fstab for them is not that simple. To fix that you need to make an udev rule, so the device will always be named the same way.

I am not an ubuntu user myself. A quick google revealed a thread on the ubuntu forums that might be useful for you:

Create your own udev rules to control removable devices - Ubuntu Forums

Though it's mostly the same for all the distros.

As I said, there might be another way around. Maybe ubuntu is using ivman or something custom by default. So, wait for input from a ubuntu user, just in case that there's a better way around.