Find the answer to your Linux question:
Heya! I was wondering if anyone here knows how to "emulate" a cdfs format on a usb drive or create a cdfs partition, i was hoping to do it in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Emulating cdfs(iso 9660) on usb drive

Heya!

I was wondering if anyone here knows how to "emulate" a cdfs format on a usb drive or create a cdfs partition, i was hoping to do it in either linux or windows would work just so long as windows can read it. Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by silentmyst View Post
    Heya!

I was wondering if anyone here knows how to "emulate" a cdfs format on a usb drive or create a cdfs partition, i was hoping to do it in either linux or windows would work just so long as windows can read it. Any ideas?
    Is "cdfs" as such a concrete filesystem driver on linux or are you referring to a regular iso9660 volume?

If it's the former, please, post a link so we can review it and see if we can help. If it the laters, a regular cdrom, in linux you can mount loopback files without a problem. For example, if you have on your home a file containing an iso image, you could mount it like this:

Code:
    mount -t iso9660 -o loop file.iso mount_dir/
    That will make available the contents of the iso image on a local folder. On windows you can do something similar using the Daemon Tools, and I suppose that Nero has also something similar for this.

A random link I just googled for Daemon Tools:

Daemon Tools - Descargar

In linux, a file and a device are mostly the same, so, you have to options: you can format the usb drive as a fat regular drive, and then store the iso into it. Or you can just dump the iso into the raw device, like this:

Code:
    dd if=file.iso of=/dev/sda
    Where "sda" must be changed if your drive is not sda. BE CAREFUL when manipulating raw devices with dd, and double check that the partition or drive you are going to write to is the right one, or you can seriously screw all your data.

Linux can handle that without problem. I don't know about windows though... But if it can't, you can always just transport the iso file into a regular fat-formated usb drive, as I told you above.

Just Joined!
    Yes i basically want to do the later one, Do you know if windows will read it?

My goal is to make windows see my usb drive as a cd when i plug it in. Will this work?

Linux Guru
    Yes i basically want to do the later one, Do you know if windows will read it?

My goal is to make windows see my usb drive as a cd when i plug it in. Will this work?
    Not that I know of. The only way that I think of would be to use the autoplay feature to launch a program that would mount a given iso image contained -still- on a fat32 volume.

And even then, I don't know of such a software, though that means nothing because I am not a Windows user.

In any case, I fear that I don't know of any easy workaround on the Windows side.

Just Joined!
    Ok thanks i'll keep that in mind, i just have one last question, how would you make the usb drive bootable in linux after you dump the iso?

Just Joined!
    Ok thanks i'll keep that in mind, i just have one last question, how would you make the usb drive bootable in linux after you dump the iso?
    Hiiii

Thnks to all you for posting...i am not Linux user, but i using a utility tools which boots system (Windows XP Mini) from my Flash Disk. to make it bootable utility tools format my drive as FAT System and after it's install BootLoader / Grub on my Flash Disk. if u want to make your Flash Disk bootable you must install grub on your Flash Disk. may be it will install on MBR. grub install by utility just provide to boot it's own Data, but it's also provide to your own grub to install. try it make your Flash Disk Bootable.

Thanks to you all.