Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know my logic is way off on this, because I know nothing about computer programming. But I remember reading that the Mac runs on a UNIX-basedor Linux-based code. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Macs, Linux, codes and speech recognition?

I know my logic is way off on this, because I know nothing about computer programming. But I remember reading that the Mac runs on a UNIX-basedor Linux-based code. I also know that Nuance has released a version of Dragon for the Mac, albeit an unfinished one. Currently, users of speech recognition can't use Linux or UNIX because Dragon can't support the code or vice versa. If there is now a version of the program for a Mac, does that mean that potentially (depending on Nuance, of course) a version of Dragon could be written eventually for Linux/UNIX? (Assuming, of course, that the Mac does run on that code.) Interestingly, I can run Open Office 2.4's Writer with Dragon -- dictation is excellent and I can use the commands as long as I say the keyboard shortcuts instead of the natural language. Would there be some progress at some point, do you think? I know a lot of this depends on the developer, but I was just curious if there is any link to the Mac and Linux/UNIX.

Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD code, which is in turn based on Berkeley UNIX. Linux isn't the same code base as either of those, but it was designed to behave the same as UNIX. It is technically possible that the Mac version of something could be ported to Linux. As you said, it just hinges on the company themselves.

Mac OS X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Berkeley Software Distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Unix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    If it helps any, Julius, which is also a 16khz recognizer, is native to Linux/Unix.

Bill Burke
    *<< | >>**Wireless Speech Recognition**<< | >>*