Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm thinking about rolling out Linux on the desktop in our mid-sized company and I want to pick a distro that has the best chance of being accepted by the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

'Preferred' distro for desktop for medium business

I'm thinking about rolling out Linux on the desktop in our mid-sized company and I want to pick a distro that has the best chance of being accepted by the users.

I'm wondering if anyone in a similar situation experimented with different distros in a company and found some to be more readily accepted by the users after switching from Windows.

Of course I know just about anything will work, so I can focus on what's more likely to create less stress on the workers. Our needs are minimal; OOo and some databases I know port to Linux.

At the moment I'm split between Ubuntu 8.04 - because it's what most of my users would have heard of and there's the cool factor, and OpenSuse - because I think it's drop dead gorgeous and perhaps slightly more comfortable to Windows users.

Both Ubuntu and OpenSuSe are user friendly and well supported distributions. I would suggest give demo of both to workers and ask for their opinion.
    Both distros are perfectly fine imho.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    You can try Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva or OpenSuse to name a few.
    All the above are very user friendly. I use Ubuntu for more than a year and i find it very easy to use.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close