Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone know of a good commandline distro that's not to large, that works on older computers, and has developing tools like gcc and nasm.? I'd appreciate help finding one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Commandline ONLY Distro

Does anyone know of a good commandline distro that's not to large, that works on older computers, and has developing tools like gcc and nasm.? I'd appreciate help finding one (or more ) Thanks all.!

PS. If it's possible, are there any good slackware based ones.?

oz
    forum.guy
    Zenwalk is lightweight and based on Slackware. You can always add any extra tools/utilities that you need.
    oz

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Any distro can be command line only depending on the packages you install.

Linux Engineer
    LFS if you have the time and experience, otherwise slack or something like it would likely be good. You might also look at Arch.

Linux Guru
    What you are asking for is, more or less, a Gentoo stage3 without any additional packages.

I'm not familiar with Slackware, but if you want something based on Slackware, what's wrong with Slackware itself?

From The Slackware Linux Project: Installation Help

"For example, if you know you don't want the X Window System, just skip all of the X software set."

Personally, I prefer Debian. So when I want text only install (usually a server of some sort), then I just do a base Debian install. Then, of course, I install whatever software I want to get going.

You could do the same with Slackware, if you want.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

I think debian is a good choice for this, if you do a net install of debian and then only install what you need afterwards, which seems to only be developer tools, you can just add them and you will not have any extra space used for extra junk, i imagine you can get a debian base install + developer tools installed in only 400-500mb disk space