Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i want to know how does one modify the default GUI offered by Gnome or KDE .... prior to this i have done work related to modifying the kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Modifying the default GUI

Hi, i want to know how does one modify the default GUI offered by Gnome or KDE .... prior to this i have done work related to modifying the kernel source code and compiling and booting using the new image.....however modifying the source code for GUI is completely new to me....could neone please suggest some links or share some experience in this regard.....

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sanrock.iitd View Post
    Hi, i want to know how does one modify the default GUI offered by Gnome or KDE .... prior to this i have done work related to modifying the kernel source code and compiling and booting using the new image.....however modifying the source code for GUI is completely new to me....could neone please suggest some links or share some experience in this regard.....
    Your description of the problem is very vague.

The kde and gnome widget styles, window decorations and even behavior, can be configured to some extent. The real question is WHAT exactly do you want to change or customize?

There's no easy answer to your question. KDE and Gnome are very different, and those differences are bigger and bigger once you dive into the source (after all, the look and feel can only be tweaked to some extent, but the programming paradigms under both projects is radically different, starting with the languages and the toolkits).

In any case, if you really know what you are doing, you should start by downloading the source code for the project you want to hack onto. And the place to do so is the home page of the project, of course.

Just Joined!
    i have been reading on GARNOME ..... and i want to knw how exaclty does one use it tweak the GNOME source code.... the documentation given online isnt sufficient.....
    So incase any body has ever tried it...OR ANY OTHER SUCH TOOL ...then please help me out...