Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey! Since downloading any 'decent' linux distro is not an option on my connection i am interested in buying cd's online. However, the only way i can pay online is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Buying a linux with a debit card?

Hey!

Since downloading any 'decent' linux distro is not an option on my connection i am interested in buying cd's online. However, the only way i can pay online is through my VISA debit card. I am from Croatia and PayPal does not support our country so it's out of option.

Do you know the place where i can buy linux using my VISA Electron debit card? What i am looking for is desktop linux systems, probably Mandrake, the newest versions.

Thank you!

you could just try http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products and see if they will sell it to you if you are sure you want mandrake. and if not there are alot of websites out there that sell linux distros. but i recommend you actually buy it from the website of the distro that way you are atleast supporting the distro you buy instead of just paying some company to get it
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Please do, its irritating to see $5 LINUX CD's when you know they are just downloading them for free, If you are going to buy, not only get the benifits of a box set from the company, but support the opensource movment, not the idiot entroopenures that try to make a quick buck off of the movments work.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Please do, its irritating to see $5 LINUX CD's when you know they are just downloading them for free, If you are going to buy, not only get the benifits of a box set from the company, but support the opensource movment, not the idiot entroopenures that try to make a quick buck off of the movments work.
    Personally I'd rather pay 5 per distro than 80 or so. When I get ADSL, I'll be downloading it for free.

The problem is, although Microsoft "costs a lot", the average joe gets it for free as it comes with his computer. Therefore it doesn't cost him. Linux is good, however I wouldn't pay 80 for it at the moment I'm afraid. 5, yes gladly - but especially since there are so many distros out there, I may only stick with it for a week and then I've paid 80 for something I've only used for a week.

Also paying only 5 can help you see if you like that distro or not. I'm going to use SuSE quite a bit more, and if I find I really really like it, I probably will purchase the next version from SuSE themselves, however I may jump to another distro as I've Fedora in the post.

I'd also say yes buy the official version, although if you know you like the distro and will use it. However I've no idea how much longer I'll stick with SuSE. The very reason I chose to get it elsewhere for only 5.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for reply people.

I agree with eBopBob. I would love to support the developers of distros, but as i don't have too much money and am not 100% sure i'll stick with the distro i migh buy i'd firstly like to get it cheap and try it, get used to it and as soon as i am able and there is a new version, i'll be very glad to pay the full price buying it directly from the developers, as well getting the support and everything.

Besides that, i am wondering if i can pay for it with Visa Electron debit card anywhere. I've been checking out Mandrake site actually, but i don't think they accept Visa Electron. There is no Visa Electron sign on their online store.

Thank you!

I'm sure Mandrake accept Visa Electron. If in doubt, contact them and ask.

http://www.uselinux.co.uk/
    They specifically say that they accept Visa Electron. That's where I bought Fedora Core 2 from.
    However they also say this.
    From that I'm guessing they only accept U.K. Visa Electron cards?

But I'm sure if Visa is accepted, then Visa Electron is also - I know for a fact that if Mastercard is accepted, Maestro and all other Master variations are accepted. I doubt Visa would make their system any different?

I've no idea if the below places accept Visa Electron. Contact them and ask.
    http://www.budgetlinuxcds.com/
    http://cheapiso.com/
    http://www.osdisc.com/

Good luck in your search for a place that accepts Visa Electron!

Just Joined!
    Thanks alot eBopBob!

I am gonna check these out!

Daniel

Just Joined!
    eBopBob,

The problem is, although Microsoft "costs a lot", the average joe gets it for free as it comes with his computer.
    This isn't entirely correct. Although you don't pay directly for Windows CD's (most only come with 'system rescue' CD's)-you are still paying for Windows. You are buying a license. Even when you are buying the CDs themselves, you are paying $50 for the packaging and CDs, but the rest goes for the licensing. Case in point: Walmart.com used to (maybe still does) sell emachines without an OS (or with Lycoris or SuSe) for $199 not three months ago. The identical same computer with Windows XP pro started at $399. You paid an extra $200 for the license.

-Todd

Quote Originally Posted by fourtrackmind
    The problem is, although Microsoft "costs a lot", the average joe gets it for free as it comes with his computer.
    Are you crazy they dont get it for free its part of the price of the PC you can get rebates if you buy PC with windows and take it back saying you dont want the OS aswell IIRC. But it certainly aint free

I was going to say something similar giro, i thought i heard somewhere that you can take a pc back if u don't want windows on it. and get cash back. there is NO such thing as FREE windows, whereas FREE linux there is. The only thing with free linux is that you get NO support from the company direct, only from places like this forum.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327