Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just wanted to know if there is anyone out there has ever formatted their disk as jfs, rather than ext3, which is what most people go for. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Has anyone any experience with JFS?

Hi,

I just wanted to know if there is anyone out there has ever formatted their disk as jfs, rather than ext3, which is what most people go for. I was curious about this file system as I'd heard that it is fast and reliable, but I'd never used it before. So when I installed Gentoo on this Debian box I formatted the new Gentoo partition as jfs, just to give it a go. I have had one problem already, though: yesterday fsck reported an error 2 saying "Root filesystem could not be mounted read/write". Googling revealed a solution: installing jfsutils which was able to scan and clean this partition. Does anyone know if this is going to be a recurrent problem? And does anyone know if it's safe to write files from an ext3 partition (my Debian one) to a jfs one, and vice versa?

Cheers
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Hi Manchurian. On my last CRUX 2.4 install, I decided to go with jfs to see how is was. So far I don't have too many complaints though I'm not really seeing any advantages, speed or otherwise, that are noticeable over ReiserFS or EXT3. One thing that I have found annoying is, for some reason the file system gets seen as corrupted if you try and mount a jfs partition from another distro on the same machine. It keeps giving errors. So yes. That problem does reoccur. jfsutils will do the job, but also you can do the same thing from *parted. Open *parted from the other distro, choose and check those partitions. That usually fixes it so I can then mount jfs from another distro. Other than that, it seems to be working pretty well.
    does anyone know if it's safe to write files from an ext3 partition (my Debian one) to a jfs one, and vice versa?
    I've not tried it from ext3, but after doing the check through Gparted and mounting the (jfs) partitions, I've written to and from them from ReiserFS. So far, no problems there either.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 06-02-2008 at 06:49 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Thanks for your reply Dapper Dan.
    If jfs gets annoying, I might think about changing it back to ext3. I believe there's a command to do this, but I can't remember what it is. Using jfs was just an experiment, but I think I'll stick with ext in the future - especially as ext4 is in development.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT