Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a machine I setup for testing: Tyan Tomcat motherboard (onboard sound, video, network,) 650MHz PIII, 192MB RAM, 10GB harddrive, ATAPI IDE CDROM, floppy. I had Win98 installed on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RH Linux won't boot... hardware issues maybe?

I have a machine I setup for testing: Tyan Tomcat motherboard (onboard sound, video, network,) 650MHz PIII, 192MB RAM, 10GB harddrive, ATAPI IDE CDROM, floppy. I had Win98 installed on it and it ran fine (testing SAMBA) Then I formated and installed RH7.3. Installation went perfect but upon attempting the first boot after the installation it froze after:

Welcome to Red Hat Linux
    Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.

Mounting proc filesystems: [ OK ]
    Unmounting initrd: [ OK ]
    Configuring kernel parameters [ OK ]
    _

Then it just sits at that flashing cursor with no error messages at all never getting past that point...
    I then tried installing RH8.0 from scratch with the exact same results. I have tried swaping the RAM around and even unplugging the CDROM and floppy but I still hang up at the same place. Anyone have an idea of what this might be or where else I might look? I've been working on this for days...

Linux Guru
    Try toggling the Plug 'N' Play O/S setting in your BIOS and see if that makes nay difference.

Just Joined!
    I went back an forth with that setting, no difference.

Linux Guru
    Several people seem to have this problem, but I still haven't been able to find out what's wrong. The only thing the system does then that could be unpredictable is synchronizing with the hardware clock. I still don't know how that could hang, though.
    How hung is your system? If you type a character, does it appear on the screen?

Just Joined!
    Yes, if I type on the keyboard the letters appear on the screen and if I hit return it jumps to the next line on the screen. It says to press 'I' to enter interactive setup but all that does is make an 'I' appear on the screen in the middle of all the text that is coming up and then it still hangs at the same place.

Linux Guru
    Try this. I already tried this for another user with the same problem, but he was rather unclear, so I don't know whether or not it helped.

1. Boot up your computer, select the line in GRUB that should boot Linux, but don't boot it.
    2. Instead, press the 'e' key to enter edit mode. Go to the line that begins with "kernel", edit it, and add " init=/bin/sh" (don't ignore the space before init) to the end of that line. The keys necessary to do that are explained by GRUB.
    3. Go ahead and boot. (See footnote)
    4. When the system is ready for input, enter these commands (end each command with ENTER). If any command returns an error, abort and report back here.

Code:
    export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin
    mount -n -o remount,rw /
    cp /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit /tmp/rc.bkup
    sed 's/^\&#40;.*hwclock\&#41;/#\1/' </tmp/rc.bkup >/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
    mount -n -o remount,ro /
    sync
    reboot -fw
    Then try again to boot normally, and see if it helps.

Footnote:
    If, when the system boots, it fails with some pivot_root or similar error, then it is RedHat's initrd that's interfering. In that case, you'll need to tell me what partition you installed RedHat on.

Just Joined!
    This is as far as I get:

init-2.05b# export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin
    init-2.05b# mount -n -o remount,rw /
    mount: could not open /proc/partitions, so UUID and LABEL conversion cannot be done.

Segmentation fault
    init-2.05b#

Linux Guru
    A buggy mount? That's news. Try running "mount -t proc none /proc" before this mount command.

Just Joined!
    That did the trick! Now can you please explain what was wrong and what I just did that fixed it?
    Thank you very much ...

Linux Guru
    Well, the thing seems to be that some systems don't seem to like synchronizing with the hardware clock. Why that is, I really don't know; I'm guessing that it's a hardware incompatibility of some sort.

This fix isn't really good, since it disables hardware clock syncronization, which makes your computer clock less accurate. It does this by commenting the line in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit that calls the hwclock program (sed adds a # character to the beginning of the line).

Try checking on google for hwclock or something to try and find a real fix for this problem. If you find one, could you please tell me about it? I'd really like to know what causes this for some people. In the meantime, do check your clock so that it's running somewhat correctly. You could synchronize it with the server on tycho.usno.navy.mil, the USA master clock.

Try calling hwclock in a shell, and see if it still hangs.