Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have a good old Coppermine at my disposal and I decided to make it the core of my new robotics project. I have used Ubuntu on my laptop ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which distro for a robotics project

Hi

I have a good old Coppermine at my disposal and I decided to make it the core of my new robotics project. I have used Ubuntu on my laptop now for about half a year and I am quite satisfied with it.

However which distro would you recommend for this kind of project or should I stick to Ubuntu? I would like something easy to program with (python, C, C++), relatively light and I wouldnt mind if it had GUI for those difficult times.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    At one of the Linux shows I attended a few years ago, there were some robots and other gadgets on display that operated using an embedded version of Debian. Ubuntu is derived from Debian, so if you are already familiar with Ubuntu, you should be okay with Debian.

I second for Ubuntu, but maybe Fedora/Gentoo would be a good choice, too. It's just about installing the programming packages. It's not really about the OS unless the OS gives you trouble with programming. I've had a few kinks with Ubuntu, but nothing too serious. I don't like Ubuntu because of the lack of updated stuff.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    At one of the Linux shows I attended a few years ago, there were some robots and other gadgets on display that operated using an embedded version of Debian. Ubuntu is derived from Debian, so if you are already familiar with Ubuntu, you should be okay with Debian.
    I would like to try to install Debian, but only thing that i have is a usb stick. I think its a little bit strange that I need an existing GNU/Linux (to install another GNU/Linux) and íf I understand correctly I lose or at least wont be able to use the usb stick anymore in other Microsofts os:s.

Just Joined!
    Actually, I think you can put the USB in you laptop, and boot the debian installer on your laptop, and when you get to the partitions screen, you can select a partition on your USB. Also, obviously if you install an operating system to boot from your USB, you can't really use it to store other files (though you could install the e2fs installable file system on Windows&#174

In a related story I ran across this morning...

Link
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here