Find the answer to your Linux question:
for a while now, i've been looking for a linux based operating system that 1) runs from a pen drive 2) does not need the system to boot from the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation poratble linux

for a while now, i've been looking for a linux based operating system that
    1) runs from a pen drive
    2) does not need the system to boot from the pendrive( so that it can work with mac as well as pc)
    3)has inter-operating system communication capability, as in i can transfer files from to the other and use host system resources like internet etc
    4) actually works unlike the few i've found so far

does anyone know of any existing platform like this, even if its not linux based(although i would greatly prefer linux)

Quote Originally Posted by rollcage View Post
    1) runs from a pen drive
    2) does not need the system to boot from the pendrive( so that it can work with mac as well as pc)
    3)has inter-operating system communication capability, as in i can transfer files from to the other and use host system resources like internet etc

does anyone know of any existing platform like this, even if its not linux based(although i would greatly prefer linux)
    hi,

it might be because of my ignorance but there are some points i dont understand here.
    - 1) and 2) aren't they contradictory? or do you wanna put the OS image in the pendrive and then retrieve that image with a vritual machine that would run it?

-3) are you looking for a virtual guest that sits on something like VMWare?

-4) you did not tell us about what you found so far, and i think it will be quite difficult to guess

with more accurate info somebody might provide some help
    Linux and me it's a love story

Quote Originally Posted by rollcage View Post
    1) runs from a pen drive

1) runs from a pen drive
    -- This is possible.
    What???!!?? You need a bootloader or some kind of virtual loader. Do you plan on using psychic powers?

I suspect that is possible.
    Maybe Puppy Linux?

Just Joined!
    What about setting something up in the USB drive so that you can run Linux via qemu, effectively running linux in a virtual machine that is loaded after the system is booted up from OS X or Windows?

I know the Knoppix Live DVD has something like this. You just bootup in windows, go to the DVD files, open the QEMU folder, run the batch file, and instant Knoppix.

I have a USB Knoppix, but its the CD version. I'm sure someone has made a USB of the DVD version. Using this, you can bootup off the USB if you are able, or just load QEMU if the system is already booted up.

Would that be a workable solution?