Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
im having problems with my sound blaster live sound card. i installed the emu10k thingy and alsa and then finally oss with no sound. i recompiled my kerenl with sound ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound card problems

im having problems with my sound blaster live sound card. i installed the emu10k thingy and alsa and then finally oss with no sound. i recompiled my kerenl with sound support as well as sb live support. oss would install at first becaus eof my smp kernel, but redhat install gave me a standard kernel to so i booted into that and it installed. i created the files /dev with the right numbers, but on started i get error about /dev/dsp and latter when i try my volume /dev/mixer not existing or not having the right permissions. ls show the files, and in kde(well, bluecurve) i changed the permissions, i just check everything and restarted. i restarted and the same thing happened plus my permission wont save.

sorry for the rambeling, but can any one help me?
    thanks

Linux Guru
    Have you tried as root whether or not the drivers actually work? The reason that the permissions aren't saved is that they're being manage by the pam_console PAM module, and that's probably the way you want it.
    Are you using ALSA or OSS right now?

Just Joined!
    when i start x it cant find/get permissions for /dev/dsp
    when i change the volume i get the same kind of error for /dev/mixer

Are you using ALSA or OSS right now?
    um...im not sure. the most recent install was OSS.

any ideas?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    You mean you're logged in to X as root? You should rethink your ways.
    Anyway, start a terminal and run "ps aux >/dev/dsp", and see if you get any sound (not, it's not supposed to sound nice, it's just supposed to sound). If you get an error, post that back here verbatim, including the output of "ls -l /dev/dsp".

Just Joined!
    after running those commands i hear nothing and get back

[quote[
    [root@localhost root]# ps aux >/dev/dsp
    bash: /dev/dsp: No such device
    [root@localhost root]# ls -l /dev/dsp
    crw------- 1 root root 14, 3 Apr 11 20:33 /dev/dsp
    [root@localhost root]#
    [/quote]

here is the exact error message i get as soon as i start x :
    Sound server informational message:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
    and as a side note, what wrong with being in x as root?

Linux Guru
    It would seem that your driver isn't loaded. What happens if you run "modprobe emu10k1"?

What is wrong with being root in X? A lot... The greatest problem is that if insecure applications. As root, you really want all your programs to be secure, which most programs aren't. If a program gets cracked as a normal user, that's not good; you might lose all your data. However, the cracker doesn't get root access. If you run a program as root and it gets hacked, it's _really_ not good. If your system gets rooted, the only real resort is to reinstall it from scratch, which is something that I really wouldn't want to do. The thing is that most programs that are supposed to be run as root are extremely secure, while many programs that are supposed to be run as a normal user (like gaim, mozilla, xscreensaver, etc.) are much more insecure, and can therefore be cracked much easier.

Just Joined!
    [root@localhost root]# modprobe emu10k1
    Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/sound/sound.o
    insmod: a module named sound already exists
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/sound/ac97_codec.o: pre-install emu10k1 failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/sound/ac97_codec.o: insmod emu10k1 failed
    [root@localhost root]#

Linux Guru
    I must say that your modprobe is behaving very strange. Run "rmmod emu10k1 ac97_codec sound soundcore", and then run "modprobe emu10k1" and see what happens then.

Just Joined!
    [root@localhost root]# rmmod emu10k1 ac97_codec sound soundcore
    rmmod: module emu10k1 is not loaded
    rmmod: module ac97_codec is not loaded
    rmmod: module sound is not loaded
    rmmod: module soundcore is not loaded
    [root@localhost root]# modprobe emu10k1
    Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/sound/sound.o
    insmod: a module named sound already exists
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/sound/ac97_codec.o: pre-install emu10k1 failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/sound/ac97_codec.o: insmod emu10k1 failed
    [root@localhost root]#
    now im confused to. i add the options when i didnt make config for my kerenel. then right after i ran make dep like guide said. i added the support for sound that ac97 just for beebs and sound blaster. ill try make modules, but i dont see why i would have to.

thanks, any more ideas?

Just Joined!
    i dont know if this help, but im on a dell. i saw some site that made me think it makes a difference

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast