Find the answer to your Linux question:
In firefox when you try and download a file, it forces the user to save as. Can someone tell me how to change this, so i have the option to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Firefox question

In firefox when you try and download a file, it forces the user to save as. Can someone tell me how to change this, so i have the option to open the download?
    TIA

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You can change your download preferences to tell it to automatically save to one location or ask you where to save it every time. Usually the downloads window stays open after the download is completed and gives you the option to "Open." Are you saying your download window disappears? That's also a setting in your download preferences.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I am looking for a run option or just a 'open' box, i took a print screen of what it looks like in IE7

http://www.joecramer.net/images/download.JPG

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoe176 View Post
    I am looking for a run option or just a 'open' box, i took a print screen of what it looks like in IE7

http://www.joecramer.net/images/download.JPG
    This usually happens to me when the browser detects that I'm downloading an executable file. When I download DEB files in Ubuntu, for instance, I get asked if I want to download or open it in the package manager. I'm not sure that it's necessarily a feature you turn on or off.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Alright, I have the fix, it is a firefox add-in that saves the files to a temp directory, that are then removed after 24 hours. The name of the add-in is called opendownload, however the problem is that it has not been updated to firefox 3. Some guy in the comments section for the add-in patched it to work and put it on a rapid share. I downloaded it and it works GREAT!! For anyone wanting to download it, I have uploaded it to my host so you don't have to mess with rapid share.

http://www.joecramer.net/downloads/opendownload.xpi

(just drag it into an open firefox window)

Glad to hear you figured it out!
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants