Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone, I have recently installed a smartlink modem driver on my Red Hat 8 system. My computers modem is a WinModem and for this reason I have been having ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot load a module using modprobe command

Hi Everyone,

I have recently installed a smartlink modem driver on my Red Hat 8 system. My computers modem is a WinModem and for this reason I have been having some fun trying to get the thing working in Red Hat, I have successfully installed the package slmdm-2.6.X.tar.gz from smartlink.

The instructions provided with this package indicate that to use the scripts you should simply cd to /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/misc and run the command:

#modprobe slamrmo

I have added the modprobe command (contained in /sbin) to my path so that I can run it from anywhere however I am not able to run the slamrmo module.

I have tested the modprobe command on other modules in the indicated directory and they work fine, however the slamrmo command results in the following error message:

"Can't locate module slamrmo!"

If anybody out there knows why the modprobe command cannot locate the module can you please let me know?

Thanks

David

Linux Guru
    First, see if slamrmo was installed at all. Do that this way:
    Code:
    cd /lib/modules
    find -name "*slamrmo*"
    If not, you probably didn't run make install in the driver's source. If it is there, try running "depmod -a", and then try again.