Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello again i am the process of repairing a 500mhz compaq running with a amd duron processor does anyone know of a good linux distro that will run well on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

500 mhz linux os

hello again i am the process of repairing a 500mhz compaq running with a amd duron processor does anyone know of a good linux distro that will run well on this cpu
    any help will be greatly appreciated
    i hope everyone is doing well
    jeremy

Puppy Linux generally runs well on old boxes.
    Linux and me it's a love story

DSL (Damn Small Linux) is a good choice too, I think it might be easier to install than puppy linux...

You can check out this thread for opinions on what can run on older hardware.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

500mhz is a pretty fast processor. I would NOT recommend you use a stripped down distribution like DSL unless you really have to. Tiny distributions like DSL or Puppy are great if you only need the limited functionality they provide out-of-box, but if you want to install more software or get some hardware working that they don't support out-of-box, things quickly get unpleasant.

The most important question is how much RAM you have. If you have over 256megs of RAM, you can use Ubuntu. If you have 128-256megs ofRAM, you can use Debian 4.0 with the default heavyweight GNOME interface. If you have 32-128megs of RAM, you can use Debian 4.0 with IceWM or fluxbox.

If you have less than 32megs of RAM, you could start off with DSL.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!
    I would recommend either Zenwalk or Wolvix.

www.zenwalk.org - Ever tried zen computing?
    http://www.wolvix.org/

Wow, this Zenwalk GNU/Linux looks nicely compiled and has a good looking GUI. Any experiences on how it performs on 500Mhz class systems?

Just Joined!
    No, but I've tried Wolvix and Xubuntu, both of which also run Xfce desktops. (I rather enjoy the xfce desktop.) Zenwalk was actually next on my list of distros to try out on my 700Mhz computer - but I've taken a break on distro-testing to try to get ubuntu setup on a separate machine to replace Vista.

Based on what I've read from their website and from DistroWatch.com, I recommend it though.

For what it's worth, xubuntu runs pretty well on my 700mhz machine, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it for anything lower.