Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Nothing in syslog, I recompiled glibc already, and I have tried copying a services file over. I think I am at my last option now of reinstalling. Well there is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Nothing in syslog, I recompiled glibc already, and I have tried copying a services file over. I think I am at my last option now of reinstalling. Well there is one more optoin which is to have gentoo recompile the entire system. I am not sure if that would even help at all though. That is the close to a reinstall I can get without taking the box down. Maybe I'll let that run over night.

Linux Engineer
    I figured out what the problem was. I was going over my files again and while I was looking at nsswitch making sure all the nis entries are correct. When I was looking over the services part, it just popped into my head. If NIS is not working correctly, it won't be able to ge any services. Ypserv was running but for some reason was not accepting connections. I restarted portmapper and everything is working now. Can't believe it was something that simple.

Linux Guru
    Well, that does explain a lot. But shouldn't /etc/services be examined first? Or have you put NIS first in your nsswitch?
    Anyway, this is a real learning experience.

Linux Engineer
    NIS is first then FILES though shouldn't of it went to /etc/services after nis didn't respond? Oh well atleast everything is working again.

Linux Guru
    Apparently not... That's really good to know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2