Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Best way is, download PartedMagic LiveCD and boot up from it. Format partition(s) in any FileSystem. PartedMagic is one of the best partition manager and it has a lot of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Best way is, download PartedMagic LiveCD and boot up from it. Format partition(s) in any FileSystem. PartedMagic is one of the best partition manager and it has a lot of tools like PartImage ( for cloning partition like ghost ), Partition Recovery Tool ( testdisk ) and a lot more.

You can format partitions through command line tools like mkfs too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Actually, nevermind I guess. I downloaded gparted and it's in the process of formatting it to ext3. That should work. *crosses fingers*

Doug

Just Joined!
    Ok, it worked. But with the exception that I can only access the files from my Kubuntu partition to copy over when I sudo.

Doug

Edit: Also, what does this mean:
    is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    It pops up a lot when I sudo for konqueror.

Just Joined!
    Well, it may not be the most elegant and secure solution but I formatted to FAT 32 just so that I could have access via OS X and Linux. I really don't want to use FAT 32, but I didn't see the option to format to NTFS, which would at least be a bit more secure.

Think I'll regret keeping it like this ?

Doug

NTFS may not give you much more security anyway ... I don't think the ntfs-3g driver will honor access rights on the ntfs partition.

Just Joined!
    Well, this all may have been for naught anyway. I was to use this external as a server for iTunes but.. iTunes SUCKS ! And not only does iTunes suck, but I'm none too crazy about OS X, either. Sloppy and inefficient OS for daily, mundane tasks if you asked me. No cut paste ? No file tree browsing, making you open multiple windows ? Ugh. iTunes is the most sloppily written piece of garbage I've ever used, and am not sure it's up for the task at hand.

Doug

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2