Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
You need "*" at the end, as someone stated above. "*.*" as someone else posted will not work (that's probably an habit imported from DOS/Win. In a tipical *nix OS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

You need "*" at the end, as someone stated above. "*.*" as someone else posted will not work (that's probably an habit imported from DOS/Win. In a tipical *nix OS that will only match files that has a dot anywhere on their name. File that doesn't has a dot somewhere in their names will not be included on the grep if you use "*.*"

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by vsemaska View Post
    I don't quite understand. First you were searching for the string 'namecard' in files and now you want to search a directory called namecard? If so, and that directory is a sub-directory of the previous one then the command would look like:

Code:
    grep -li namecard /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/namecard/*

or 

grep -li namecard /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/*namecard*/*
    Notice that I took out the -R option so as not to do recursive directory searches. This required adding an '*' to the end so it'll search all files.
    Hi vsemaska,

Sorry for not making my previous posting clear. I need to search the directory named "namecard" instead of file.

# grep -li namecard /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/namecard/*
    grep: /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/namecard/*: No such file or directory

# grep -li namecard /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/*namecard*/*
    grep: /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/*namecard*/*: No such file or directory

# grep -li namecard /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/*namecard*/
    grep: /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008//*namecard*/: No such file or directory

# grep -li namecard /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/namecard/
    grep: /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/namecard/: No such file or directory

satimis

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    You need "*" at the end, as someone stated above. "*.*" as someone else posted will not work (that's probably an habit imported from DOS/Win. In a tipical *nix OS that will only match files that has a dot anywhere on their name. File that doesn't has a dot somewhere in their names will not be included on the grep if you use "*.*"
    Noted and thanks

satimis

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    Hi vsemaska,

Sorry for not making my previous posting clear. I need to search the directory named "namecard" instead of file.

# grep -li namecard /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/namecard/*
    grep: /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/namecard/*: No such file or directory

# grep -li namecard /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/*namecard*/*
    grep: /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/*namecard*/*: No such file or directory

# grep -li namecard /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/*namecard*/
    grep: /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008//*namecard*/: No such file or directory

# grep -li namecard /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/namecard/
    grep: /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/namecard/: No such file or directory

satimis
    Well, obviously namecard isn't a sub-directory of /media/usbdisk/Documents_2006_2008/. Where is it located? You'll have to use that pathname.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2