Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by qub333 OK, #1 openoffice will always open slower then MS word becuase MS word is integrated with the OS, but not in a good way, large parts ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    OK, #1 openoffice will always open slower then MS word becuase MS word is integrated with the OS, but not in a good way, large parts of it sit in your ram at all times, even when you never plan on writing a word doc. Should you really want to, you can do something similar with OO, but personaly i dont like it. Give Yoper a try, i can open OO in about 5-6 seconds on a 1.8 and 512 at 233 and a ATA at 7200. If you need actual benchmarks they exist, and can be used, you will find that linux runs far faster, if you do it right. If you just do a mass install of everything, then you will have 20some servers running at all times, a large workload for any computer, let alone one that is going to run a desktop or GUI. Yoper is not installed with all these packages buy default. and uses several other serious speed enhancing features. When I run Seti@home on my 1.8 linux box, i can finish a WU is about 8 hours, my 3.02 w/ ht that runs windows will take almost 10-12 to finish one WU. Granted there are other factors, but part of the Windows 'trick' to running fast is that is has a certain set of resources devoted to itself, reguardless of if its actualy using them. Linux will do the opposite, freeing as much as possible for other processes. Its kindof annoying that you keep asking to make your linux fast without trying the suggestions. Yoper was the first one, download it and give it a whirl, if your dissapointed by its speed and want to know how to speed it up, ask away! But don't just keep posting the same question without trying the solutions that people are posting.
    Thats absolutely wrong to state that windows put some of the supporting file for word into memory, so as to load it faster. When u get any process look-up, u will find no such stuff. SO, i went some more deep to see why. This all the the techniques in memory allocation and handling. I m still doing some work on this, and i find GTK tech also involved. SO when i finish my work, i will post the result, to let you people evaluate. Bye

Its not listed as MS office, its System Processes.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I hate to interrupt on this debate,

I just downloaded Yoper. It looks to be a neat distro. Probably give you my opinions on it soon.

ra21vi, why not just try out different distros, rather than debate the merits of Windows? If you really think XP is faster, than go with it. You have been given paid and free (as in no charge) options. Just download and try out the options, as qub333 suggested. There is no need to debate the fine points of it all.

Also: If you do go with XP, please DON'T judge 'all of' Linux until you've tried the options given you. Just my opinion.

Another opinion: I use Debian sid, and I installed it via morphix. www.morphix.org . It is very fast, even on my old 500MHz, 128Mb RAM system! Up to you.

-Todd

Just Joined!

reply to fourtrakemind

Ok, i agree with u fourtrakemind. I should not judge. I m just finding pros & cons. i don't know why i want every thing in Linux,speed reliablility, security, and easy GUI.
    U told me to use Windows, but i don't like windows as a programming environment. As office use and multimedia use, its good.
    By the way, i like the freedom movement, and i m going to burn linux cds free in my region, if they provide me the cd. I am also learning more and more with Linux.
    ---------
    I have installed Yoper and Mandrake 10.0 and downloading Fedora 2. I found Yoper really fast in GUI and user interactions.
    -------
    When I will find more, i will post that.
    Bye

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    Its not listed as MS office, its System Processes.
    ya got it, but i know what the process ids and what names in memory. I have windows XP too, i run MSword and quit afterward, i again checked its memory content with resource dump, and process management software, i found same that before. No trace of any process that support MS word/office. I also checked it on a freshly installed xp system without ms office. If u open services.msc, u will see there also no support except some indexing, that's for file/and folder content. SO. i came to the conclusion, windows xp is fast,
    But,linux is best for servers and programming/research/development.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2