Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi, I just want to know the best distro and fastest one, because RHL 9.0 wa not so fast, where mandrake was a little fast than that. But not comparable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how can I:

hi,
    I just want to know the best distro and fastest one, because RHL 9.0 wa not so fast, where mandrake was a little fast than that. But not comparable to windowsXp. I want to know which one is the fastest one distro:.
    Another, I want to try turbo linux, can anyone tell me where can i find turbo linux 10d iso for free download.
    -
    anyone want to mail me, u r welcome: ra21vi@rediffmail.com
    Thanks in advance.
    Bye

Just Joined!
    I should also tell you, I hate Microsoft and its policy. I want to use and promote Linux, but lets think a thing:
    -> Linux is damn more secure than Windows.
    ->Linux is also more stable than Windows and flexible also.
    But Where is Linux lagging behind: its GUI, speed and desktop Management.
    I have only tried Mandrake 9.1, RHL 9.0 and Knoppix. all are impressive and slow. GUI is confusing.
    Mandrake got some more point for its better GUI and desktop management than Red Hat Linux.
    I want to know if there is any Linux distro which is fast, looks more impressive and has a managed desktop.
    --------
    If you are a developer for Linux, than please think about it.
    Server market of Linux - i think more than 70%
    and desktop market - less than 10%
    why so? Because server requires stability/security and smoothness]
    where as desktop user wants fast, impressive graphics and easy to learn GUI/managed desktop
    --------
    Thanks for reading this article

Linux Engineer
    yoper seems to be the fastest linux distro of all...it has also easy installation..check this out at yoper.com
    Linux For Ever!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    and from what i saw turbo linux is really cheap only 30 bucks and thats pretty good if you go out and buy any distro most of 40-50

well its not 10 but you can download 7 for free
    http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=3
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Quote Originally Posted by big_k105
    and from what i saw turbo linux is really cheap only 30 bucks and thats pretty good if you go out and buy any distro most of 40-50

well its not 10 but you can download 7 for free
    http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=3
    Not to mention Turbolinux 10F offers you PowerDVD for Linux and an all-in-one media player that has licensed codecs. I've never tried it myself, but that's an attractive little package for sure.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I'm using VidaLinux Beta2 at the moment...They have versions optimized for both Pentium 4 and Athlon XPs....It's quite fast, even for a beta

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8909
    I'm using VidaLinux Beta2 at the moment...They have versions optimized for both Pentium 4 and Athlon XPs....It's quite fast, even for a beta
    I've looked at that distro but never actually tried it. The idea of an "easy install gentoo" is appealing. I've spent days getting gentoo set up, and although it's great once you get it installed, I just really don't like having to spend that much time getting it on the computer.

That same logic is what got me to try out Mepis linux, which is an "easy install" Debian-based distro. I'll have to give VidaLinux a try.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by stathisx
    yoper seems to be the fastest linux distro of all...it has also easy installation..check this out at yoper.com
    Thanks stathisx, for guiding me to this new distro i have never heard before, but i read many articles and comparision sheets, and i think it must be interesting os for me. thank u very much. bye

Just Joined!

configuring HDD >Linux

hi again,
    I came again to message a problem, somewhere i read that linux uses 16-bit data transfer rate as default for many distros. And if you want to change it, u can do that by opening configuration file and change 16 to 32 bit with SCSI descripton, that makes starting application fast.
    ----------------
    I am very much concerned about the speed of linux. My machine,
    Pent-4 (2.4GHz) 512 L2 Cache, 256 DDR(333MHz), 40 GB HDD(7200) Samsung, and original Intel 845GVSR motherboard,
    and openoffice taken abouut 6-7 seconds for loading, where as microsoft office 2003 takes 1-2 with antivirus startup check included. SO, plz let me know the steps in making linux fast. I just want to have linux. i can program here more easily than in Windows. I don;t know why

OK, #1 openoffice will always open slower then MS word becuase MS word is integrated with the OS, but not in a good way, large parts of it sit in your ram at all times, even when you never plan on writing a word doc. Should you really want to, you can do something similar with OO, but personaly i dont like it. Give Yoper a try, i can open OO in about 5-6 seconds on a 1.8 and 512 at 233 and a ATA at 7200. If you need actual benchmarks they exist, and can be used, you will find that linux runs far faster, if you do it right. If you just do a mass install of everything, then you will have 20some servers running at all times, a large workload for any computer, let alone one that is going to run a desktop or GUI. Yoper is not installed with all these packages buy default. and uses several other serious speed enhancing features. When I run Seti@home on my 1.8 linux box, i can finish a WU is about 8 hours, my 3.02 w/ ht that runs windows will take almost 10-12 to finish one WU. Granted there are other factors, but part of the Windows 'trick' to running fast is that is has a certain set of resources devoted to itself, reguardless of if its actualy using them. Linux will do the opposite, freeing as much as possible for other processes. Its kindof annoying that you keep asking to make your linux fast without trying the suggestions. Yoper was the first one, download it and give it a whirl, if your dissapointed by its speed and want to know how to speed it up, ask away! But don't just keep posting the same question without trying the solutions that people are posting.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast