Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, So i am new to Linux. I have just installed Ubuntu on an old desktop and am pretty able with computers in general, but i have an idea ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which distro to get for emulator project

Hi all,

So i am new to Linux. I have just installed Ubuntu on an old desktop and am pretty able with computers in general, but i have an idea for a project, and would like your opinion. The project is this:

I would like to have my old computer start up with a menu allowing me to choose between X amount of emulators that will allow me to play old games (Dosbox, UAE etc.). I am imagining that for this i will need to write a program that executes each time the computer starts up or something of the like.

Does anyone have ideas on which distro to get, how i should write said program or any other ideas on how to do this, i would very much like to hear from you!

Please remember that I am new to Linux, so if some of this sounds lame just ignore it. If you have any links on what I should read up on before i start, please post URLs.

Thanks,
    EsbenH

Just Joined!
    hello, very good idea

but benefits that have your computer? ( CPU, RAM, HD, and grafics)

i recomend a distro especific of games. Is a live-cd ( execute and play, not install) live.linux-gamers.net

Just Joined!
    Hiya Pell,

Thanks for your reply. Although I see the point of using a 'game-specific' distro i think that it may be too hard to realize what i want; namely to use the already made emulators.

It seems (although im not sure) that the Live.Linux dvd are only able to run games made for Linux, and what i want to do is to be able to play my old Amiga and DOS games. Do you know if this would be possible with the Live.Linux dvd?

The system I will initially be using is this:

AMD K7 ATHLON Palomino 1.4GhZ
    ASUS GeForce3 V8200 TI200 Deluxe
    SB Audigy Platinum
    1GB RAM

BUT... I am hoping, at some point, to get an Mac Mini Core Duo and later redo the thing so that it will run on this and maybe use Xbox360 controllers or even oldschool Zipsticks or the like. But this will be sometime in the future since i have not found a cheap mac mini yet.

Thanks again for your input, I would love to hear more

EsbenH

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hi :P

your computer is very good. if you install much games and emulator games, live-cd linux game not the distro use.

I installed ubuntu, and other games or emulators. Emulator of windows is a wine.

I do not know much about amiga and linux

Just Joined!
    Hi again,
    Alright I will try to see what I can accomplish with my limited skills. Thank you Pell,

Esben