Find the answer to your Linux question:
well i finally got everything back up and running. when i try to play mp3's XMMS just doesnt. it shows up in the playlist, it just wont play them. any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

oh man this is annoying

well i finally got everything back up and running. when i try to play mp3's XMMS just doesnt.
    it shows up in the playlist, it just wont play them. any ideas why?

thanks
    Justin

this is through a USB HD btw.

Linux Guru
    How exactly do you mean? Does it appear to be playing, but there is no sound, or does it do exactly nothing when you press play, or do you get an error?

Just Joined!
    yeah when i press play it just doesnt do anything. it doesnt even apear to play, no count down or anything. it just sits there.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Does your sound work otherwise? If it does, what happens if you copy an MP3 file off that USB HD and play it from your primary HD?

Just Joined!
    that is the other problem. this time around i decided to try gnome. when im in nautilaus and i right or left click the file just goes away. i have no clue where their going. if i back out and go back in their still there but when ever i click on a file it just disapears. so i cant copy/cut to my main hd.

Just Joined!
    oh yeah all the files show up as unkown files. i couldnt find where to associate file in gnome so i switched to kde to associate mp3's with xmms then i switched back to gnome.

Linux Guru
    Apparently, there's something wrong with that USB HD. What happens if you ls -l in a directory on it?

Linux Engineer
    The XMMS-mp3 support arent included in some Linux distributions anymore, because of lawsuit riscs. But you can download the xmms-mp3 rpm from the net and just install it with rpm -ivh <rpmname> or upgrade current package with rpm -Uvh <new rpm filename>.

Look on the net, but i found it here...NOTE im not saying this is a secure site. That you have to diside by your self.

http://www.gurulabs.com/downloads.html

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure, but I think that when you don't have the MP3 plugin installed, XMMS will just pop up an "open file" dialog instead of doing nothing. Anyway, do check just to be sure. Check in XMMS' Preferences dialog, under Input Plugins if you have the MPEG Layer 1/2/3 plugin installed.