Find the answer to your Linux question:
My /etc/fstab looks like this: /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1 LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2 devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0 proc ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do you manually mount an LVM drive?

My /etc/fstab looks like this:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/hdc2 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/hdb1 /mnt/backups auto defaults 0 2
    /dev/hdc1 /home auto defaults 0 2

/boot is /dev/hda1 and / is /dev/hda2.

When I installed FC I accidentally set / up as a LVM partition. Yesterday I had to do a rescue on my system with sysreccd - all I needed to do was mount the / partition and edit a file which had an error in it but I couldn't use the normal mount commands. I assume this is because / is under logical volume management.

If I tried to mount /dev/hda2 I got "mount: wrong fstype, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2, missing codepage or other error"

I also tried mounting it using evmsn (ncurses version) but I couldn't work out how to mount it onto a directory anywhere.

So how do you mount this type of partition manually when you've booted up with some sort of rescue CD?

Regards,
    Phill

Linux User
    I'm not familiar with sysreccd but I assume there's already a / (root) mounted from somewhere (the CD). So you'll have to temporarily mount on a different mountpoint, say /mnt. If it doesn't exist create it with mkdir. Then try this mount command:

Code:
    mount -t ext3 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by vsemaska View Post
    Code:
    mount -t ext3 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt
    I tried this but I get an error that the device doesn't exist. If I go to /dev there's no file or direcdtory called VolGroup00.

Remember that I've booted up using a rescue disc here and I'm trying to mount a hard drive that isn' tmounted by the rescue disk (don't know if that changes your answer or not).

Regards,
    Phill