Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I have no problem to start bittorrent to download file on Gnome desktop by clicking the *.torrent. Bitorrent will take care of the rest. If on headless server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

About starting Bittorrent

Hi folks,

I have no problem to start bittorrent to download file on Gnome desktop by clicking the *.torrent. Bitorrent will take care of the rest. If on headless server how can I start it on command line to download file similar to rtorrent? TIA

B.R.
    satimis

If you're on a headless system, you have two options really. One would be to use VNC to connect to a running X display on the system and continue using it as you are. However, this means that you need X running on the system, which is a pain and not really worth it.

The other option is to employ a torrent client that can be manipulated via the CLI through ssh. You say that you have rtorrent, so here are some instructions for doing this with rtorrent:
    polishlinux.org rTorrent — console P2P!

The article talks about screen, which allows you to maintain a persistent session even once you've logged out, which may be overkill for your purposes. But the article seems pretty sound.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan View Post
    If you're on a headless system, you have two options really. One would be to use VNC to connect to a running X display on the system and continue using it as you are. However, this means that you need X running on the system, which is a pain and not really worth it.

The other option is to employ a torrent client that can be manipulated via the CLI through ssh. You say that you have rtorrent, so here are some instructions for doing this with rtorrent:
    polishlinux.org rTorrent — console P2P!

The article talks about screen, which allows you to maintain a persistent session even once you've logged out, which may be overkill for your purposes. But the article seems pretty sound.
    Hi Cabhan,

Thanks for your advice and URL.

On this box, Ubuntu 7.10 desktop, I only have bittorrent running. I can't install rtorrent because of dependencies nor deluge, the torrent client, which is not on repo. I run rtorrent sometimes which is a handy tool for download ISO image. The download process can be stopped and restarted at any time without losing the files already downloaded

On the Virtural Machine here both Host and Guests are headless servers. For X I must tunnel a workstation.

B.R.
    satimis

Linux Guru
    I'd suggest mldonkey.

It runs as a daemon, and it supports lots of p2p networks, torrents, and also regular downloads. It can be accessed with "telnet your.server 4000", and it also has a web interface, which is not specially pretty but works like a charm and gives you access to all the features that mldonkey can handle, it's accessible via http://your.server:4080. I use it on my home server, and it always worked like a charm.

Also, if you use firefox on your remote machines, you can install this extension to improve the way that mldonkey is handled:
    http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/~dyna/mldonkey/

In fact, I completely forgot about web UIs. I use Deluge personally, and it can be administered through a web UI. Azureus also can be run through a console mode or through a web UI.

If you google for headless clients, I'm sure that even more will pop up.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    I'd suggest mldonkey.

It runs as a daemon, and it supports lots of p2p networks, torrents, and also regular downloads. It can be accessed with "telnet your.server 4000", and it also has a web interface, which is not specially pretty but works like a charm and gives you access to all the features that mldonkey can handle, it's accessible via http://your.server:4080. I use it on my home server, and it always worked like a charm.

Also, if you use firefox on your remote machines, you can install this extension to improve the way that mldonkey is handled:
    Firefox MLdonkey/eMule/aMule Protocol Handler
    Noted and thanks

satimis

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan View Post
    In fact, I completely forgot about web UIs. I use Deluge personally, and it can be administered through a web UI. Azureus also can be run through a console mode or through a web UI.

If you google for headless clients, I'm sure that even more will pop up.
    Hi Cabhan,

Thanks for your advice.

What I need is a simple headless client for download file/ISO image on website.

By the way is there headless client for forwarding X from remote PC? For X forwarding on ssh both local and remote PCs need X running. If the local PC is headless server is there any solution to forward X on the remote PC to local PC?

B.R.
    satimis

For VNC, both boxes need an X server running. However, for SSH forwarding, I am under the impression that the point is that the remote machine does not need X running: the remote X programs will use the local X server. This guide on the Gentoo wiki has some instructions (most of it is distro-agnostic):
    OpenSSH/X forwarding - Gentoo Linux Wiki