Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I ran clam av for the first time. It claims to have found 1 virus, but didn't tell me what or where it was. So it keeps on scanning, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

ClavAV weirdness

So I ran clam av for the first time.

It claims to have found 1 virus, but didn't tell me what or where it was.

So it keeps on scanning, and it's popped up maybe 30 things. Mostly files named 'slab' (is this normal? It hasn't quarantined them). It doesn't call them viruses.

It also found my ATI drivers (which I'm not using) and marked them as 'broken.executable'

IT finds virus number 2. I got excited because I was here to see that one, so I could verify it. It's a gzip of a book I had. I guess clam felt there were too many files in it.

Strange stuff indeed.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

EDIT: It found virus #3, which is the unzipped version of the same book.

Question Clam AV not a good anti-virus tool

My experience with Clam AV has not been very good at all. I have several SAMBA servers and Clam AV has failed miserably. On the other hand, I have never experienced a virus on a Linux machine. I am not sure what is your requirement to run a Linux A/V, but I would recommend that you go with a commercial product if you are that concerned.

Some products I recommend:

Sophos Antivirus Sophos - anti-virus and anti-spam software for businesses This is a top rated product in Gartner's magic anti-virus quadrant and a great deal at $40!

RAV Antivirus Desktop Panda Security - Panda Security for Linux

If you are concerned about protecting your valuable data, a little investment is probably worth it

Usually I will put the output to a file, but I won't let clamscan to print all the output. I just want it print the infected one. So usually I type like this in terminal

sudo clamscan -i -l ~/clamscan.log

-i is for print only infected file
    -l to save the scan report to the file

Of course if you see there is infected files, you can see the file, whether you recognize the file. If you are pretty sure then you can remove it. But if you are not sure, then it is better to googling or asking in forum.