Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, all. I am seeking suggestions or pointers to a Linux Distro. that is especially tuned or suited to multi-language learning. I have several seniors (octogenarian at the minimum!!!) who ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distro for Language Learning

Hello, all.
    I am seeking suggestions or pointers to a Linux Distro. that is especially tuned or suited to multi-language learning.
    I have several seniors (octogenarian at the minimum!!!) who are thinking to set up computers to learn several languages. Between them they speak Ukrainian, Russian, German, Farsi, French, English, Korean.
    All speak /write English and they each have one of the other languages as native to them.
    They wish to each have the ability to quickly switch between en_US (actually en_GB has better diacritical support) to several of the other languages to teach and learn the other languages (or what they may) from their open desktop.

I promised to research the issue and report back to them at their next "Resident Council" meeting. They all seem to adore my Debian SID installation, as one has to fight to get my machine back should one leave to visit the lavatory or attend a mgmnt. meeting!!! But this setup is not appropriate nor workable due to X-server installation (XiG Accelerated X due to Open GL issues with the specific graphic card) which will not allow KKB switch or SCIM to switch keymaps on "the fly". As the server is commercial and closed source vendor supplied keyboard maps are the only ones avail.; as one may guess there are several from the above lang. list that are not supported. I have not any idea how to create such mapping myself.

Anyway... any ideas or knowledge of a specific "flavor" Distro. tweaked for this use?

Or.. pointers to perhaps setup a custom live distro for this use. Maybe a flavor of Knoppix or Sidux etc...?

I'm new here so please forgive any transgressions on normal posting etiquette:

Thank you
    Last edited by Someone_Anywhere; 09-23-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo

Just Joined!
    As far as I know all the distros come with inbult support for most of the languages... I suggest using Suse or Ubuntu... Suse I know has a very vast language support..
    and the packages are already given out with the DVD... you just need to intstall the additional languages manually using Yast..

Just Joined!

multi-language distro.

Quote Originally Posted by craxfun View Post
    As far as I know all the distros come with inbult support for most of the languages... I suggest using Suse or Ubuntu... Suse I know has a very vast language support..
    and the packages are already given out with the DVD... you just need to intstall the additional languages manually using Yast..
    Well, I was in the hope that a distro exists that has been setup to allow multi-keyboard maps, localization, keyboard language switching out of the box; say as easily as selecting the desired languages/locates in utf8/16 then install. The hope was not to need to spend massive time per machine (these guys all have different hdwe. of various vintages).

I'll look at both SUSE and Ubuntu..
    Gentoo?
    I do not like RH, so not interested...unless a specific European flavor has "the right stuff" tweaked in.

Thank you,
    matthew

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I've used English, Spanish, and Japanese all in Gentoo, and that's on a minimalist desktop environment. Gnome should support tons of languages, and makes it really simple to change your keyboard layout between them. So a distro isn't going to be your limiting factor. I'd suggest just giving them Ubuntu (just because it's easy) and setting it up from there.