Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all I use PuTTY to run irssi on an old 166 mhz pc with 48 ram (it's just an IRC client and a SETI@Home cruncher) and I was wondering ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Going to a process that is started through a PuTTY session?

Hello all

I use PuTTY to run irssi on an old 166 mhz pc with 48 ram (it's just an IRC client and a SETI@Home cruncher) and I was wondering something.

Is it possible to 'open' the process of irssi to the screen of the machine on which irssi is actually running?

For example: I start PuTTY on one PC, I log in, I start irssi.
    Then I go to the machine which I have logged in to, and I would like to view irssi on the monitor of this machine. (hard to explain)
    Of course this would only be useful if irssi was not closed when PuTTY is then closed while irssi is still running on the machine itself.

In a word, no.

When you execute irssi from putty, the program is opened on a pts (pseudo terminal). You can't open a program that displays on multiple pts's, AFAIK. And once open, you can't redirect where the program is outputting.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    If you are looking to do something like that I would recommended that you check out the screen command. All the info you need is in man screen but here are a couple of quick things to get you going.

screen "command" // starts your command in a screen session

ctrl-a ctrl-d // detaches you from your screen seesion

screen -r -d // detaches any other screen session running and reattaches you

You can in this way start a command localy and then check in on it remote of vice-versa. You can even do this between two remote sessions.

Just Joined!
    I'll check it out, thanks

Just Joined!
    heres the guide that got me started with screen: http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/9/16838/14935