Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there a way to install an application, then scan the system for what changes the were made, and then take them changes and apply them to other systems? For ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Software Install Question

Is there a way to install an application, then scan the system for what changes the were made, and then take them changes and apply them to other systems? For example:

1. Take a snapshot of the system
    2. Install the application
    3. Take a second snapshot
    4. Compare two snapshots and save the changes to a file

Then using the file created apply the changes to other systems, can this be done? Thanks

Maybe you want to look into the rsnapshot program.
    rsnapshot(1) - Linux man page

It can do snapshots, is able to log file operations, can list the differences between different versions and can roll back to a former snapshot.

That said, I reckon there are better ways to achieve this. What is the name of the program you want to install?
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Just Joined!
    Hi GNU-Fan, I want to install a program called Powerchute Network Shutdown on our servers. Its software that talks to a UPS, if the power fails it will tell the servers to systematically shutdown to save power and let the critical servers stay up longer, Thanks for the suggestion ill check it out now

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    rsnapshot may actually do what I need, how do I take a once off snapshot of a system using it? Im looking through the help files but cant make much sense of it at the moment