Find the answer to your Linux question:
User Since someone mentioned that I should not use the root account for general use like for to surf the internet, use email program, work with a various office programs, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

User and Screensaver problem

User

Since someone mentioned that I should not use the root account for general use like for to surf the internet, use email program, work with a various office programs, and etc. So, I have to create a new user instead, right? Well, I've created a new user for myself and I have no problem with it until there was some errors so I deleted it and decided to create a new user again. Then a problem exists when I tried to create a new user while in root account. Please read detailed information the following:

1. System Settings
    2. Users and Groups
    3. Add User
    4. Input the information of a new user. (User name, full name, Password,
    confirm password, etc)
    5. Ok
    6. When I open the properties of the new user I have created, the
    password is different. For example, I put "computer222" in the
    password box and then I open the user with properties, the password
    with artisek shows something like this; "****" only four characters
    being displayed and I dont know what letters/numbers it contains.
    Did I do something wrong?

Screensaver

Like I said above, at first I had no problem with the new user I have created. I choosed which screensaver I wanted then I applied the settings and when my laptop is in screensaver mode, only a black screen was displaying. I don't understand, I was in the normal user account, not root.

Linux Guru
    There's nothing wrong with only four asterisks. You see, once you press OK, the password is encrypted, and thus the program cannot retrieve it again. Therefore it only displays for asterisks for all users who have passwords. When you look in the information box again, you'll only be able to change the password, not see it. The password you chose is still the one used for login.

That screensaver problem probably isn't really a problem. It's probably just that you have set your power saving options so that your screen power saver goes on at the same time the screensaver activates.

Just Joined!

Another user account problem related

After creating a new user for myself, I rebooted laptop and logged in as xcore... an error occured. Its something look like this:

------------------

The following installation problem was detected
    while trying to start KDE:

no write access to '/home/xcore/.ICEauthority'.

KDE is unable to start.

"Ok"

-------------------

Linux Guru
    Try erasing your ICEauthority: "rm ~/.ICEauthority".

Just Joined!

auth + scrn

thx, it worked. as for screensaver issue how can i find the power options that can enable me to make a few adjustments? im sorry but personally, screensaver is something that i love to watch. lol i know it sounds weird but thats me.

Linux Guru
    I can't blame you. There are lots of really cool screensavers that come with xscreensaver. Anyway, the power saving options are probably in your BIOS.

Linux Engineer
    Which Linux distribution do you run, i know that on Mandrake and Redhat their exists a couple of powersavings option under the controlcenter on Mandrake and i think under administration/properties->display/X.

Im not at home or at work right now so i cant give you the correct names, sorry.

I think it have options like, enable password screensaver after a couple min, turn of your screen and other powersaving options..

Regards

Regards

Andutt