Find the answer to your Linux question:
for past two days, i have studied and played with redhat linux 8 on my laptop. it was wonderful and fun time and i've gained a lot of experience from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

:( the end?

for past two days, i have studied and played with redhat linux 8 on my laptop. it was wonderful and fun time and i've gained a lot of experience from it. sadly, i believe i have reached the end. i'll explain a few reasons below.

internet

i have found the pure exactly driver, HSF, for 56k modem on my laptop. it still wont run even i did follow the instructions. the installation was successful but the chipsets inside the 56k modem just wont work. i have looked at every resources and found many of people who have had same model as mine, neither it does work.

printer

found the exactly driver and pdd file that have only specification for hp psc 2110 printer, yet it still wont work even I had to check the configuration for it.

well, there's nothing much to do with my redhat linux 8 laptop but just to continue playing and studying it. personally, without printer and internet for me, the computer is useless. of course, i aint gonna waste my $3500 dollars laptop so i will to wait for red hat linux or others to develop a few of drivers that can support the hardware component parts in my laptop. so, i wanted to thank you guys for helping me. thx.

Linux Guru
    That's too bad, really! Can't you beg the computer manufacturer that they either give you a Linux driver for your modem, or that they give you the specs, so that some open source developers can make you a driver? I know your printer works, though. Linuxprinting.org gave it a "Perfectly" mark. You must have done something wrong.
    You could also mail RedHat and see if they would care to do something about it.

Just Joined!
    before you put it away for awhile xcore, let me try to help...
    I have SuSE 8.2 Pro running on a Compaq 1200 with an integrated Conexant HSF modem... I found a package called HSFmodem or something and works perfect... If you are interested, shoot me an email, and I will gladly send it to you...

As far as your printer, have you tried CUPS... with the Web Admin...? I used it at my work to connect to HP LaserJets, DeskJets, and JetDirects, and it had all of those drivers built in...If you have CUPS installed ( there is a checkbox on the RedHat 8 install) in a web browser of your choice type http://localhost:631 this should open the CUPS web admin....

hope it helps, and keep on playing... Linux is the future of computing...

evan hazlett

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    playing is how you learn things. He is right though, without the internet or a printer, what good is it besides playing? With enough help I am sure both of those problems could be resolved, but obviously they haven't been since he started asking about them. Don't worry guys, he will be back, and there will be plenty more like him. The more we help the more support we get from vendors in the future.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!

modem not working.

Just in case:

I dont know what model modems you guys have or if they are or are not winmodems. But I am under the understanding that WINMODEMS do not work with linux. So lets make sure they that the HFS is not a winmodem.
    I guess with that with winmodems the call set up and data transfer and call teardown is done by software and not by hardware, like the more expensive modems.

let me know if im right

Linux Guru
    WinModems differ very much in actual implementation, but the thing that they all have common is that they are not serial modems. Serial modems exist both as internal and as external models. The internal models emulate a serial port and the external ones are connected to a real serial port. What they both have in common is that they all use the traditional Hayes AT commands for control, therefore eliminating the need of specially designed drivers. Everything can be implemented in user-space, since serial port handling is normally the most basic thing in a kernel of any operating system.
    WinModems do not use AT commands, and therefore normal software cannot be used with the solely. There are Linux drivers for some WinModems, but not for all, and they generally tend to emulate AT commands, as far as I know. WinModems have their own quite differing software interfaces to do things like dial and so. I don't really know what they're good for, but I'm guessing that it is somehow cheaper. I think that some WinModems are no more than sound cards essentially, that have a telephone line transformer attached to the output. I wouldn't bet that there are Linux drivers for those models.