Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, anyone know what the 6.52 partition is? also, it's a 160GB drive, but 6.52 and 142.53 don't add to 160 GB... ermm, why? i'm in the process of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

freeing up space on the hard drive...

hi all, anyone know what the 6.52 partition is? also, it's a 160GB drive, but 6.52 and 142.53 don't add to 160 GB... ermm, why?

i'm in the process of installing onto my sony, and want to free up space before partitioning for linux install...

thanks...
    Attached Images Attached Images

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Could that be some kind of partition created by your computer maker, for Windows restoration, or for some other purpose?

The installation CD for Linux should be able to create space for you, but you can do it yourself if you wish.
    oz

Just Joined!
    thanks ozar,
    you being a moderator, would know, what is the best entry level book to get to learn about linux and the way that linux works?, i have been asking a lot of q's on the forums' and getting nowhere, i want to learn, and i need to know where to start. the forums a great for when you have some experience, but i don't have experience yet... do you know of courses you can attend to learn in a classroom environment?, i am in australia, sydney. i need to start learning at a point where i am talking with someone, as keyboard is too slow for me at the moment...
    thanks...

oz
    forum.guy
    Probably one of the most popular all around Linux books covering the basics is Running Linux (published by O'Reilly):

Running Linux | O'Reilly Media

Look around a bit and you can find it for a great price.

As for running Linux, just dig in, install it, experiment with it, and keep on trying different distros until you find the one that feels right to you.
    oz

Hi efflux

Did you ever have any luck finding someone on IRC? I've been keeping an eye out for you, but maybe the time difference between us (I'm in California) is too big.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode