Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello- Well I picked up a 3 pack of Linux Discs off of Ebay with the intent of loading Open SuSe 11 on to my computer. As it turned out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Have 'OS' on DVD but need it on CD.... help?

Hello-
    Well I picked up a 3 pack of Linux Discs off of Ebay with the intent of loading Open SuSe 11 on to my computer. As it turned out SuSe and Fedora are on DVD, only Ubuntu was on CD. So I loaded Ubuntu and it's been great, but I would like to see SuSe (and maybe Fedora). My prob is that I don't have a CD/DVD player on my computer, it's CD only. I could try and find a cheap DVD player and hope it's compatible with Ubuntu. I was thinking the easiest solution might be to just trade or swap my DVD versions for CD versions. Anyone interested or willing to burn me CD's in trade for my DVD's?

Unfortunately, the .iso's for Fedora and openSuSE are only DVD format. But you might want to look into Unetbootin. It allows a full installation without having to have the installation media.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Unfortunately, the .iso's for Fedora and openSuSE are only DVD format. But you might want to look into Unetbootin. It allows a full installation without having to have the installation media.
    Interesting, as I bought and paid for an Open SuSe11 "CD" on Ebay 16 days ago. Of course maybe that's why the seller has yet to send me the CD.....

I'll give that Unetbootin a look and see if I can't do something with it, thx.

And if that doesn't work looks like I'll have to break down and buy a CD/DVD player for my 8 yr old computer.

Linux Guru
    openSuSE 11 LiveCD's => Here

(I assume you can install from the LiveCD...)

Fedora CD's => Here

CD links for Fedora are listed right on the main page.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    openSuSE 11 LiveCD's => Here
    (I assume you can install from the LiveCD...)
    Fedora CD's => Here
    CD links for Fedora are listed right on the main page.
    Hey, those are some great options.....
    Now I've never done a download like that so I have a couple newb questions: Do I only need the iso's for one type (64,i386 or ppc)? And do you download by right clicking or what? Sorry but I'm still kinda new to Linux... kinda funny tho since I've already been thru DOS, Mac & Win.
    Thx for the suggestions & help.

Thanks, HROAdmin26! I didn't even know those were there... I was going off of the info on Distrowatch!
    Do I only need the iso's for one type (64,i386 or ppc)? And do you download by right clicking or what?
    The 64 files are for a 64-bit CPU. The i386 files are for pretty much any intel type chip (Pentium or better). The ppc files are for PowerPC type CPU's (Mac's generally). Those are the architecture types that will be supported by the OS. So if you happen to be running a regular PC, go with the i386 type. Just download it to your Documents, and browse to it when you go to burn it. (Make sure you burn it as an image).
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.